Breathe-Cool respirator CFM issues

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 pm
Has anyone tried the Breathe-cool fresh air respirators? I'm really sensitive to fumes, so I got one, and was having issues with the hood letting fumes in. Then I noticed I would hear the motor speed up and slow down.
So, I put the CFM gauge on, turned it on a watched for a few minutes. Sure enough, the air pressure would go up and down about 1 CFM on the gauge (going up, it would max out). Thinking maybe it was an overloaded circuit, I tried a few outlets, finally trying the outlet a foot away from my breaker box. Same results.
Has anyone else seen this happen?

Here's a really boring video that shows what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Qtpw#t=114

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:55 pm
I've owned one for several years now. I was forced to get "something" because I had Iso induced COPD from a bad shoot.
Okay, so first, let's look at the turbine itself.... These are vacuum motors which have the turbine wheels replaced with cooler running plastic wheel stages. These type of motors are very sensitive to line voltage/frequency fluctuations. I noticed you posted a second video there and saw how much of an extension cord you were running with the unit. Too much extension cord could easily account for that much of a drop/rise WHEN combined with somewhat fluctuating line voltage/frequencies. And yes, even at a foot away from a breaker box you can still have line fluctuations.... When I installed my last whole house generator I had a master tech. come in and check my work. He said my generator was producing much "cleaner" numbers than my supplying utility. I guess my point is.... these are not exactly "precision" motors that maintain exact numbers as they operate. In fact the adjustable rheostats also play into that as well. The fact that you don't here much of an "audible" change in the turbine sound is usually an indicator that it is performing within its' tolerances. Trust me when turbine motors (35 years selling, building, rebuilding turbine spray systems) are acting up you can hear them having problems. maintaining cfm/pressure. You can hear brush and bearing problems easily along with unbalanced turbine stages.... etc.
As for you having problems with the fumes... you might want switch to the newer mask set-up he now supplies. I have the hood and wear it with a full disposable suit so it all "inflates" and maintains that puffed up look. I've never, ever smelled anything with it. There could be a possibility that the hood itself could have some "smell" contamination remaining in it. I always wipe my down inside and out plus store it in another building when not in use. I don't know if any of this helps.... bottom line maybe contact Breath Cool back and see what he says...
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 am
Thanks for the lengthy response. I thought the same thing about the extension cord, which is why I started switching outlets and finally ended up by the breaker box. I can definitely feel the difference when the pressure drops, I started to smell fumes.
I did contact them about the hood, he said if the pressure was either too high or too low, it would let fumes in. I thought about full face mask also, but didn't know if it was as sensitive air pressure as the hood is.
As it stands, I definitely need to either get the full face mask or try to return it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:16 pm
I think I would at least try the mask first and see if you can get better "sealing" which would make the fluctuations less impactive. That company is pretty "stand up" about their products so I am sure something can be worked out. Again I still think that you could either have line fluctuations, a possible malfunctioning turbine, or malfunctioning turbine control that is making the hood not work properly. If you do indeed replace the turbine and the same problems occur I would think that "dirty" power would be the answer.
My daughter lives just 12 minutes from me and they have lost numerous tvs, microwaves, and probably a half dozen power tools over the years. The power company admits they have "problems" in the area but says that new construction growth in the area is hampering their efforts to stabilize things. I shot some cabinet surrounds at her house recently with my 4 stage turbine system and I could hear the unit change sounds as I worked..... :shock: Plugged it in back in my shop, no variance at all.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:30 am
i have the same unit with the full hood and have never had the unit change rps from what was set. maybe its just bad luck, i would definately contact support.

i put on a cheap paint suit and the hood over and i have never smelled anything. for whatever reason if i put it on low, its not enough to keep me breathing nicely and i will fog up. i don't use it full blast either.

Return to Tools and Supplies