water based in solvent gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:18 am
Hi guys, is it possible to use water based paint in a solvent gun without corroding the hell out of it? cheers..

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:23 am
I admit I've done it before with my cheap gun(s) :whoops:

The problem is some internal parts might be mild steel or aluminum, and corrode pretty quickly. I do what I have to do with the waterborne product then immediately flush with solvent afterward.

I would not do this with my good guns unless they state they are waterborne compatible.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:20 am
I had to work with a lot of water based coatings back in the early 1980s before there was much "gun tech." that was compatible with the stuff. What my industrial instructor taught us was to clean with denatured alcohol (ethanol) after shooting. It works at removing the left over moisture much in the same way that alcohol added to gasoline combines and removes condensation in a gas tank. My schedule then was to go from the water based finish, clean out with straight warm water, then clean with alcohol, then finally back to lacquer thinner or regular gun cleaner. I never had any corrosion problems doing it like that.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:06 pm
awesome thanks ...

Return to Tools and Supplies