Same gun for CC and BC?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:25 am
I bought a Sagola 4500 with a 1.3xl tip and the cc air-cap. When I ordered the gun I had decided to also get a aqua-cap, some say it lays down the bc very nice.

But when I told the seller that I was going to use the gun for cc and bc he advised me not to. You better buy another gun for bc he said. I asked if he meant because of the cleaning. He said yes it is hard to get it perfectly clean if you have spray painted with a metallic and not all the metallic have been fully removed. And he also mentioned shooting clear and there may be paint leftovers from bc when shooting cc and landing in the clear or slightly coloring the cc.

I am spray painting as a hobby but i want my work to be perfect.

Should i get a dedicated bc gun? Maybe some of you guys are using same gun for bc and cc and can help me decide what to do or give me tips. Maybe some have any suggestions on a inexpensive bc gun LVLP

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:39 am
I use the same gun for epoxy, base and clear. Never had a problem but I clean my gun thoroughly after every use.
You can buy a 5 gallon can of cleaner grade lacquer thinner at most automotive paint places. I use two small mixing cups to put fresh lacquer thinner in. One cup has just enough to cover the cap and tip so they can soak.
I put some thinner in the gun, swirl it around, pull the trigger and let it drain into the cup I mixed the paint in. Repeat this again until clean thinner is running out the tip.
Using a paper shop towel soaked in thinner I wipe the cup and lid clean and remove from the gun. I take the cap and tip off and soak in the clean thinner I put in second small cup.
I flush the gun with clean thinner into the cup I mixed the paint in. Use bottle brush to clean gun and wipe down with clean thinner soaked paper towel.
Using a toothbrush style brush I clean the cap and tip, making sure all holes are clear by holding up to the light. For good measure you can rinse everything with Urethane Reducer but I just use the clean thinner.
Reassemble and its good to go.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:30 am
I've done both over the years. Guy is right in some ways. New gun first time use. No problem any color in gun is what you just sprayed. Later on when that odd ball chunk turns loose and comes out. It's never the color you was just sprayin. Just like the chunk of trash that came off you while sprayin. If it's a dark color it'll be light or vice versa.
Kinda like bread always lands butter side down. LoL
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:37 am
even tho I now have a couple of guns, I still use the same gun for both, my old gun is a satajet90 and I use that mainly for solid colors, and my new gun is a devilbiss gti prolite, only used it once but that's what I will mainlyu use from now on for everything as I sompliy cant afford another quality gun for the little painting I do
I don't see a problem with it, cleaning it out gives you something to do while waiting for the last bc is flashing off, and if you take the time to clean it out properly, there shouldn't be an issue, otherwise youd use a new gun for every job in case some pearl or metallic flake didn't get cleaned out!!
krem

Return to Tools and Supplies