2k primer gun/compressor setup question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 pm
I am setting up my garage for auto body and have purchased a turbine for epoxy/base/clear. I don't want to spray 2k with my turbine, so am looking at other options.

I have a couple cheap home depot hvlp guns and am wanting to know if a 6gallon pancake compressor with a devilbiss inline filter will be sufficient for doing hoods/fenders and such. The real concern is contamination or water getting to the gun. The compressor will never be used for major projects, but I have done some reading that the non oil compressors get hot very easily, but I doubt I will be spraying long enough for it to even get hot at all. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:54 pm
Doesn't matter how little you use that gun with a pancake it's just not gonna' cut it. Pancake is designed to drive momentary tools that need pressure but little cfm. Spray guns need just the opposite. You need the middle ground of pressure ratings but need max. cfm for continuous air flow. Even just painting parts the bare minimum is going to be in the 3 to 5 h.p. with a 30 gallon tank. A 5 h.p. with a 60 gallon tank would be better. If you can't afford a new one just look around on Craigslist, local paper, etc., for a used one. Guys go in and out of this hobby all the time....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies