Has anyone used custom shop clear with turbine?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:25 am
As far as I know all accuspray guns use derlin tips and that they are interchangeable . I wonder if you have some old part numbers or something.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm
I called Jeff at Homestead Refinishing today to ask him about my gun. Nice guy, answered my questions as well as he could. He said he is not an expert on automotive painting, mainly woodworking. But he said he had never heard of using a 1.1 nozzle for clear. He did check for me and they do not make a 1.1 for my gun. He also gave me a phone number for 3m (they made Accuspray) tech. I did not call them today but hope to tomorrow. I am curious if they will advise going to a 1.3 with a different air cap.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:13 pm
Well, I'm glad he got you pointed in the right direction at least. You know, that gun you've got is supposed to be one of the better ones for automotive but it is kind of a strange bird when compared to most of the gun designs which were based around the venturi effect found in the original Sicmo designs. It appears to be more of a "hybrid" trying to take advantage of higher air pressures found in multi-stage turbines rather than their CFM characteristics. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but for those of us that were "old school" turbine guys it's harder to give you advice. Contacting 3M is probably the best way to go....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:24 pm
I called 3M today. Good service but I don't really think the expert had first hand experience painting. However, he did have knowledge and access to all 3M's info. He said that 705 air cap I have is the smallest made for that gun. He also said that cap and the 1.5mm tip and nozzle are supposed to be the best combo for clear coat. He suggested pretty much as you guys did, open pattern all the way and reduce. I asked about the length of the hose (40') and he also thought that was excessive. I went out and bought a 25' heavy duty garden hose today. Hopefully, next week I will get some time to play with it some more. I will post results. Thanks again. CS

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:47 pm
Yeah, that's the downside to calling into the "factory" for advice. You rarely get real world advice from a guy that actually shoots with your equipment. I used to do gun demos for Capspray, Apollo, etc. years ago and would have guys travel several hundred miles that just wanted to see the guns in use.
Once you've fooled around with it some more get back on here and tell us if you worked it out. We need feedback on here especially about these newer guns/turbine combos.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:44 pm
Had some time today so I decided to mess with the turbine. I shortened the hose from 40’ to 25’ and opened fan to full. Unfortunately, I ended up with the same results :( The first 2 pics are of the paint only, it seemed to go on a little rough but it did flow out ok. Pic #3 is after the first coat of clear, it is terrible. I then reduced the clear about 10% for the second coat and about another 10% for the third coat. Pics 4 & 5 are the finished product. It flowed out some but still sucks. I think tomorrow I will sand that panel down just to level it and reduce the heck out of the clear and see what happens. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_7818.JPG
IMG_7804.JPG
IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7793.JPG
IMG_7782.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:13 pm
Since your original post was about this particular clear I'm thinking it just may not be compatible with turbine systems at all. Trust me, it happens. Just based on what I am seeing I don't think you'll have much luck continuing to tinker with it as too much reducer will produce a poor quality coating. Clears that I know work with most turbines are PPGs 2021, PPG Shopline or Omni clears, most Transtar clears, and ********** Universal clear. Also got some of the Tamco clear that Chris sells here and am still experimenting with it on a turbine.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:08 am
Are you using the slowest activator and reducer you can use? Looks like it's going on dry.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:33 am
That's usually the #1 thing first done when mixing for turbine applications. I was assuming that he was.... but are you???

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:28 am
Darrel, I agree with you on this clear/activator. It is not that it just needs a little adjusting to fine tune it, it is way off.

Chris, Hmm, I am using slow reducer but am not sure about the activator now. Here is a pic of what I am using. This is the only activator listed with this clear. It does not give a speed anywhere on the can and I have searched online for a data sheet for it but can't find anything. I was assuming that since it comes with their "Ultraflow clear" it was a slow activator but now I am not so sure. Darrel mentioned that PPG 2021 sprays well with a turbine. Would the Tamco HC-2021 have the same spray/flow characteristics?
Attachments
RSPUR85-GL.jpg
KUSKIT-KC2020-GL.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies