Has anyone used custom shop clear with turbine?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:01 pm
Original Sicmo guns and most of the Taiwan clone guns will come with a matched nozzle/needle size out of the box at 1.0 to 1.4 mm. All of mine are 1.0 to 1.4. Since we are in the wood finishing industry we prefer the smaller ones for light bodied stains and the larger ones for higher solids clear coats. The air caps CAN be matching or actually one size mismatched to increase/decrease atomization/overspray. Go look at this pdf on page 4 and you will see the complete breakdown on what sizes are recommended for what materials.
http://american-turbine.com/OWNERSMANUAL53011.pdf

That owner's manual is pretty much a "bible" for almost any Sicmo gun. Please note that while absolutely not necessary you will get a better atomization from the later multi-hole air caps with more tiny holes that ring around the air cap opening.
Although pressurized cups aren't absolutely needed on a gravity style gun I too feel they greatly improve the speed of fluid transfer which has always been a weak point with turbines.
You know, it's really odd with those Axis turbines.... I've seen at least 4 different brands of guns paired up with their turbines in brand new packages. Axis turbines are also rated (again if you can believe anybodys standards for ratings) about 1/3 to 1/4 of 1 p.s.i. less per stage in any of their turbine designs compared to their competitors. Their 4 stage pushes 7 p.s.i. My current 4 stage is rated at 8 p.s.i. and pushes more like 9 in the real world. Odd......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 pm
Darrel, Is this the converter you were talking about to use my gun with an air compressor? I know it regulates pressure but there must be more to it than that? http://www.ebay.com/itm/221903852271?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 am
Well, I have never seen that part before but a guess would be..... that's a "step down" convertor to take compressed air and choke it down to an acceptable air pressure/cfm to operate a turbine gun. That would be indicated by the fact that the output gage shown only goes from 0 to 15 p.s.i. It might have been used to operate a gun like yours but it is not an Accuspray/3M part. I had designed a similar unit years ago with a built-in heater to dry the air as it was lowered in pressure. The idea was to try to grab some market share of the guys buying turbine guns but not wanting to buy complete turbine/gun set ups. For the guidance on the correct part try www.spraygunworld.com as they have a reference to the fact yours can be converted on the page with the gun description.
Okay, did a little more digging and.... yes, it seems like it is just that simple of a thing. Go look at the picture in this sales ad...
http://www.janecosales.com/accuspray10g ... raygu.aspx
They are calling that part 36-00 and it looks like they are just taking compressed air and dumping it through a mini-reg and going to the larger turbine style quick release fitting.
Soooooo.... I think I would just be picking up a mini-reg at Harbor Freight and some brass fittings at Home Depot in the plumbing department and ending up in lawn and garden for a quick release.... really???? Man, that is a strange gun, if that works... When I experimented with the concept years ago we found that the missing ingredient was CFM but as I said before that gun design looks very restrictive so.... who knows?????..... It could work....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 pm
I think that gun is the same as mine, just a different cup. Mine is listed as a "10G" and that one is listed as a "10G Pro". Could be a different gun too but it sure looks the same. I still want to get a gun that will work with the turbine but just for the heck of it I am going to try this. I also want to check the pressure of my turbine with a 25' hose and a 40' hose. Here is a pic of what I have so far. I have not been able to find a low pressure gauge locally. I think as little pressure I need that a 150 psi gauge will not be very accurate. So far I have about 19.00 invested in it.
PS: In the pic I have the wrong fitting on the end, I do have the right one.
Attachments
IMG_7954.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:31 pm
Well, this is the piece of crap gauge/reg. we use on our low pressure barrel spray systems for shooting glue sizing/pH agents for wood treatment.
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-psi-ai ... 68219.html
Since it's a heated glue mix we have to have it pretty much at just 20 p.s.i. for the best spread pattern and that little unit has been on there a couple of years now. I've tested it with other larger regulators and I don't think it's even a p.s.i. or two off. I also noticed that Harbor Freight is now carrying this as well...
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... +regulator
I am assuming that probably reads in 1 pound increments but personally have never used it.
Anyway, you're on the right track. Just looking at what you've put together you might have some constriction in that making your needed pressure more like 10 to 20 p.s.i. for that gun operation. What the heck, see what it does.....

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:09 pm
And, do you know what I think you are building here????.... an LVLP gun. Seriously, I have a couple of Astro Evo (the 1.4 and 1.8 tipped gun combo) guns that operate in the 22 to 28 p.s.i. range and the gun bodies don't look that much different than yours. If that ends up working and is true it's little wonder this gun prefers higher pressure turbines.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:50 pm
Ok, Kind of a disappointing day in some aspects but good in others. Everything I bought today, I already had. But I had already opened everything so no taking it back. No biggie. I rounded up some gauges in my garage. I had a mini gauge that worked fine on that regulator. It does go up to 120 or 150 but I think it reads ok. I can set it to within 1 or 2 psi, since this is a fly by that should be good. The bad part is my turbine. I was looking through my tool box and found my vacuum/fuel pressure gauge. Kool, that will work. So I checked the turbine with no hose, only 7 psi. Then I checked it with a 25' hose, 6.5 psi. Seems kind of low to me as I was thinking it should be about 8/9 with hose. I do need to check the filter on it, I have never even looked at it. Although it is about 5 years old it has sat in a sealed box until last year. It has ran for maybe 2 hours total. Then I hooked the adapter to my air compressor and set it to 10 psi. I think there may be a volume issue here. The 10 psi from the air compressor was not near as much air flow as the 6.5 from the turbine. I set it on about 18 and just by feel it seems to be about equivalent to the flow from the turbine. I then put my gauge to the end of that hose and get about 10 psi out of it. I do believe this may work. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to try spraying some test panels. Still a bit disappointed with the turbine. I thought I was buying a pretty much top of the line set up. I am wondering now if the problem all along was just not enough pressure to atomize.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:21 pm
That's why I always tell people.... no standards with turbine systems. And if it was only 6.5 with a 25, I can almost guarantee it would be much worse with the 40. Combine that with the gun design there and I can see why your coatings are not laying down. I would still think a Sicmo style gun would be okay with your turbine. We were dealing with about 4 to 6 p.s.i. back in the 2 and 3 stage days with those guns.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:55 pm
Today I made a few changes as seen in the pics. Eliminated the bulky hose all together. For experimental purposed I ended up using the parts as they are laying in the pic. If I were going to use it for painting I would use a hose between the parts so I wouldn't be carrying the gauge wit me. Either way it didn't matter:( Paint still would't atomize. I ended up at 60 psi and it still wouldn't smooth out. At that point it was spraying like a normal spray gun, lots of over spray, defeats the purpose of turbine. I got out my hvlp gun and sprayed some just to make sure it wasn't the paint. Laid down good. I do regret that I ever bought this thing. Maybe it is just me, it might work fine for someone else but I am now officially done with that accuspray pos. Or maybe there is something wrong with this particular gun? I will keep hunting for a Sicmo or one of the knock-offs. I have not given up on the turbine as I like the high % of paint transfer and low over spray. Darrel, thanks a million for all your help. When I get another gun I will post results here and probably have a million more questions for you.
PS; I also pulled the filter out of my turbine today and it looked fine. I ran a pressure test with the 25' hose and no filter and it still only had 6.5 psi
Attachments
IMG_7976.JPG
IMG_7972.JPG
IMG_7966.JPG
IMG_7964.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:33 pm
Well, I don't get it either.... I had always heard how that gun was a "superior" turbine gun and you haven't been able to get it shooting in either mode. Find a Sicmo gun or clone and I still think that's plenty of turbine for you. Had one of my customer's clearing out her husband's body shop hobby and she brought an older TP tools turbine in. I was hoping she had the matching original Sicmo gun that I could get from her. No dice, another painter had already quickly scooped it up.
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies