spectrometer's

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:55 pm
I would like to know who else here uses a spectrometer? what model? For what line of paint? And how well does it work for you?

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:38 am
Nobody? Really? I have heard axalta has the only system that actually works. some kind of patented copyright on the operating system is what I was told. I just wanted to see it this was really the case.. maybe so. I currently have 3 generations of camera's here from the old chromavision, to an acquire RX, to the new acquire plus EFX. Most of the high end shops we supply are using Cromax Pro w/b and I am fairly certain most if not all have some sort of camera. Its a handy tool when no info is available.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:04 am
Spectrophotometer. Can you guys stop re-inventing the English language by leaving stuff out? :P :lol:

Acquire RX.

I have a Cromax Centari Mastertint system and use 6000 and 610 basecoats, 510 2K and L400 acrylic. Everyday base is the 610 which is pretty good for an economy line. Reduced with 50% AB380 basecoat reducer rather than the 80% recommended and I get coverage that is closer to the 6000 premium (expensive) line. L400 I like too.

Colour matches are generally pretty good, especially after shading, although the new software doesn't seem to work quite as well as the old one. The new software does, however, link direct to Axalta so we can have update colours and variants immediately while they can access our formulae to create new variants. The real advantage is that Dupont/Axalta is so big that we have access to variants from all over the world so there is nearly always something that is blendable. For edge to edge it's best to eye match after mixing the best match off the machine.

About the only problem with the spectro' is that it seems to have problems with greys that have red and blue in them. Apparently this is a known issue and they eay that the next generation spectrophotomer will address that. They said that about the Acquire RX, too.
Chris

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:06 pm
holy crap you guys still have Centari? we lost that years back. even before VOC laws came in. Ya I have the new camera and there are still issues with the greys like you stated. Its nice in the fact it reads metallic and pearls. I have only had it for a few weeks now so I cant say its worlds better than the RX, but its certainly a more high tech device with a color touch screen, and the ability to add vehicle info notes, which can be handy for reference.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:02 pm
Seeing nobody else seems to be chiming in, I would have to assume what I am hearing to be correct, and they are primarily only in use with axalta (formerly DuPont) systems. I would certainly like to hear otherwise and know how its well its working with other systems.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 pm
Nothing wrong with Centari and the 6000 basecoat is as good as you'll get from any other manufacturer in solvent. To be honest if they ever withdraw it I'd be lost. A single set of tinters from which you can make almost any paint you like just by changing the binder.

You have to remember that it's only you guys in North America that have the paints you have. Centari, for example is still in common use throughout the rest of the world and the L400 acrylic is the most common basecoat throughout Asia. What that means is variants galore so colour matches become much easier and better.

Other manufacturers have spectro's. As above, the bigger the company the better it's likely to work, since there will be more colours/variants available for it to choose from and then shade.
Chris

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:12 am
HAHA OK NO! your getting me all wrong here. I personally loved Centari! Awesome stuff, ans I was sad to see it go. We no longer have anything quite like it in Canada... In my opinion... hey I have been in the industry over 30yrs here and used a lot of different paint.

Ya know what?!? I would like to know, how many people are on this site paying attention lately and maybe follow some of this stuff??? I assume a great deal of people join the site looking for advise and such. And some will be working in the autobody world is some way shape of form. I'm still new to this site and see questions being answered. primarily by a few by the most part.... from what I have seen.. I saw i what do you do thread thread but I want to narrow things down..

Just out of curiosity who in this group has a paint mixing machine at their disposal and mixes paint. I thing would be quite a few painters in this bunch who have the ability to do so? would there not? Please whoever is on this site paying attention and can mix paint, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND! in form of a thread comment. And include the brand and type of paint you use. This is just just an impartial survey and just because i'm curious... Also tell me a bit about yourself, such as bodyshop painter, or owner, production, sales, maybe your a paint rep? whatever?! I like to know as much as I can about the paint world.
Is there anyone here that mixes paint all day everyday such as myself?? Im throwing this out there as I had what I thought perhaps an interesting subject started for the paint people of the bunch.....

:flatten: :talkhand: :knockout: :bighug:

oh Ya I like smileys :roll:

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:20 pm
This is Autobody 101. The name speaks for itself, no offense. If you want a site that mainly consists of techs and shop owners, then try Refinish Network.

Return to Tools and Supplies