Need to know if this will have enough air flow

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:23 pm
Hello this is the first time I am posting to this site. I have always been able to find out most of what I need just by searching but now I feel it is time to ask a question.

First this is my first paint job on anything except some graffiti when I was younger but that is another story. I wrecked my mustang last year and thought I had full coverage insurance but I didn't so this leads me to this. I did search for someone in my area that might paint the car but with no luck other then maybe Maaco. So as adventuris as I am I thought I would just do it my self. I mean the worst thing that can happen is I pay someone to paint my car. So I started on my quest to learn to paint a car which led me to here and a lot of helpful info.

The first thing I did was too shave off the luggage rack off the trunk. I mean who needs a luggage rack on a convertible mustang. You just get in and drive u don't plan things out like packing clothes. So off it goes and in its place goes a small wing. Give it back some of the sporty looks back.

The second thing was the hood was bent from the wreck. So my loving wife knew I never liked the cheap fake bolt on hood scoop that was on it when I bought it. So she bought me a new aftermarket 2" cowl induction hood for birthday. She told me in the card here's ur hood now finish it and drive me around again. So how could I say no to that.

Now I have sanded the whole car down fixed any dents that I could find. May not have done as good of a job as some of u might have done but every panel is pretty straight. I sprayed 3 coats of 2k primer on the car guide coated it all looks pretty good. I am not sure if I got on thick enough because I sanded thru in some spots. I sprayed the car in my garage without any protection from the elements and found a lot of trash in the paint. So I searched out the next evolution in this process and that was I need a paint booth. I read as much as I could find on this subject and seen some really nice ones ppl have built, but seeing as I may not paint another car for a long while I did not want to spend a 1k dollars making this. Besides it would need to come down afterwards.

So I built the paint booth. I made it out of 2x4's and covered it in plastic. I made it big enough to hold the car and the hood off the car. Total dimensions are 20' long and 16' wide 7' high. I have taped up all the seems top and bottom side to side. I am almost up to my question. I knew I need to extract the paint fumes so I thought I could use two 20" box fans put a filter in front of them on one end and the other I put 4 openings. I placed a filter in them to keep all the dirt out.

So my question is will these two fans draw enough of the air and fumes out of the room. I will be wearing a respirator mask not a fresh air supply. I am not worried about me I am more worried about overspray settling down on the paint. If I was building a rock crawler I might not worry so much but I want this thing to look good for a novice painter.

image.jpeg
Paint booth 2

This is pictures of the room they are not great but u can see my openings.
Any comments you can give me would be great.
Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
paint booth 1

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:21 pm
Read this thread and specifically this post I've linked, which explains what you need to consider in terms of fan throughput:

viewtopic.php?p=132408#p132408

Return to Tools and Supplies