cleaning gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:14 am
if your not going to use it for 6 months, should you leave some thinner in it of blow is dry?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:53 pm
I like to keep them empty and clean. I have seen where moisture from the thinner actually rusts the inside.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 am
since cleaning is the subject of this, what is the proper way to clean a spray gun? i have been adding thinner, shaking and pulling the trigger. repeat till thinner runs clear, and then leave a small amount in the cup until i need it again.
i would like to hear how everyone else does it.
thanks all sb

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:37 am
Note: I wear Raven gloves when spraying and keep them on until done cleaning.

I start by rinsing the cup and flushing the gun with lacquer thinner into a mixing cup until it starts to run clear. (I buy 5 gallon size cleaning grade lacquer thinner from jobber and transfer some to a gallon can I keep handy)
Next I puts some clean thinner in a small mixing cup and remove the cap and tip and let them soak while I clean the cup, lid and body of the gun. Running bottle brushes through openings etc.
Everything gets wiped down with a shop towel and clean thinner. Cup reassembled to gun and then making sure the tip and cap are clean and all hose clear of blockages (hold up to light to inspect) then reassemble and its good to go for next time.

I also put the used lacquer thinner into a separate container. It can be used for initial rinsing or other various clean up jobs. Its great for starting the burn pile as well, just don't stand too close when throwing the match. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies