Best Fine Line Tape????

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:16 pm
I have been using the 1/8” 3M Blue fine line tape. So far it has worked OK, but it has moved on me a couple of times. I can’t have that happening.

Taped out some nice flames on a scrap piece of sheet metal covered with metal flake and clear. Left it for a week or so. When I got a free afternoon I taped off the outside of the flame with standard masking tape and sprayed down some candy. 15 minutes later I come back to find the fine line tape has pulled to the inside of a few tight radiuses… moved about 1/8” and pulled some of the candy color with it. Doesn’t do it often, but when it does the results are catastrophic.

So I looked at what else is available… there are few different materials they make fine line tape out of, and several manufacturers. I need something that will go around a tight radius and will stay put.

Any suggestions???

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:31 pm
The blue is the best I have used. I think the problem is your leaving the tape on to long. I don't think any tape can stay on for a week and not start to pull off.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:54 am
I use Blue Fine Line and it can walk or curl in tight radii if overworked, or the radii are too small for the tape width. It has limitations. As mentioned, it cannot be left on long prior to painting tight curves; it can be left on longer if lines are straight or have gradual curves. If you are laying out flames and overwork tape trying to get the layout right, it will lose adhesion and walk. Start over with new tape and push the radii down firmly. The solvents in the paint will also cause the tape to move if you spray it too wet.

Flames layout takes research and practice. Poorly laid out flames look amateurish. Do your homework.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:42 pm
So far I have 2 votes for the stuff I have already been using.

I just stared painting... working on the concept/color scheme for painting my bike. Trying different things to see what works, what doesn't, and what I like best. Using the opportunity to improve my skills and work out kinks in my process before I start on the bike.

All the panels in the pic were laid out at the same time. The tape used on the BC red in the background did not move. The tape on the metal flake in the foreground did. See the creep on the inside radius?

The candy red was not as intense as I wanted, so I laid it on thicker than what I usually would have to get a deeper color. And from what was said above, I'm guessing that was the problem.

Learning as I go. Thanks.
Attachments
Red Flake.JPG

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:03 pm
Looks good keep up the good work.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Return to Tools and Supplies