Compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:48 am
Hello everyone. I'm having a bit of a problem. I wanting to get a new compressor, that can run a da. I know they have a large air requirement. My problem is I only have 110 power in my unattached garage. Since this is for hobby purpose I would really like to avoid getting an electrian and go through all that. Do you all have any suggestions? Thanks Charlie

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:07 am
Hi Charlie, welcome to the forum.

Without getting into the math, on a 110V circuit even assuming you have a dedicated 20A breaker for the single outlet servicing the air compressor, you are going to be limited to a 3HP electric motor. In fact we need to count on the mfgr being optimistic about that 3HP because if it's a true 3HP motor the full-load amperage would exceed the safety rating for the 20A breaker.

With a 3HP compressor you will get 9 to 12 CFM of air. If the compressor mfgr says more than that, they are lying. Which means running the typical D/A will overwork the compressor.

Two options to consider: Electric D/A, or you could run two compressors and tie them together -- but you will need a dedicated circuit for each one. This gets expensive and loud, so really the best option is to get 220V service into that garage and get a large enough compressor.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:08 am
I'm in the same boat so I am getting a variable speed electric da till I have money for the air compressor I really want. Electric is expensive to pay some one but it's worth doing it now if you can afford it. There are many options you can go with. I like to do wood work to so having a big compressor is nice to run because you can spray the furniture too. So it might hurt now but it will benefit in the long run.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 pm
Your best option is to have 220V ran in, as Chris has posted; 3hp is as big as youre going get in 110V. Ideally you'll want at least a 6hp with a 60 gallon tank to get the cfm's you'll need. You can get by with less, but you'll be waiting for the compressor to catch up frequently.

220V is a good investment anyway, as you can run a good welder and plasma cutter instead of being restricted to 110V models as well.
"My vehicles are always dressed in formal attire, wearing a Black Bowtie"

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:34 pm
Thanks everyone. Very informative. So basicly my best bet would be to get 220 out there and get something like . http://m.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gall ... 93274.html Agin thanks

Return to Tools and Supplies