Best paint gun for $100-$150?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:14 pm
Hi everyone. I am looking for some info on or if I could find a good paint gun for around $100-$150?

I am looking for one to use mainly on clear coat to get a good finish out of the gun.
Maybe use it on base coat too if I can?
Or is it possible to get one set of paint guns for $150?

How's this Iwata 9230 HVLP with a 1.3 tip look for spraying base and clear?
http://www.cpooutlets.com/iwata-9230-ai ... AgCn8P8HAQ

I also found this devilbiss kit for $165. Any thought on these 2?
http://www.eastwood.com/devilbiss-auto- ... AlvQ8P8HAQ

Thanks.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:50 pm
Didn't you say somewhere that you are taking in customer jobs now? Be very careful going the cheap route. Definitely have separate guns for primer/base/clear -- and I'm not saying you need to drop a ton of money on a high end gun but please don't use an "air gunsa" or that awful starting line kit from DeVilbiss (who would do themselves a huge favor if they dropped it from their product line!).

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:19 pm
Yea I have been mostly doing customer jobs now and some work for a dealer.
So I'm looking for a better gun for better end results.
And I do plan to have seperate guns for each product. Being that guns are not cheap I thought I would use one for base and clear till I bought a new one for just clear.
But thanks for the heads up on that devilbiss kit Chris! :goodjob:

I will keep looking and see what good gun I can find for around that price.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:45 am
chris wrote:but please don't use an "air gunsa" or that awful starting line kit from DeVilbiss (who would do themselves a huge favor if they dropped it from their product line!).

Have you used the Air Gunsa, Chris?

I have two of them, AZ3HTE2's, and find that they are very, very good. Not as wide a fan as a Tekna but actually easier to get a nice "production" finish, even on large panels like bonnets. Just takes a couple of extra passes.

Agree on the Starting Line. Junk.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 am
Quality tools may cost more up front, but they will save you time, effort, and headache in the long run.

Just went thought the same thing you are... trying to pick one gun to do it all. This is what I ended up buying.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6FFKO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I am not a pro, only paint for the fun of it. But I found this gun very easy to use. A little fiddling around with settings and the 1.3 tip with the TE 10 cap will do BC just fine. Minor adjustments from BC settings and it lays clear like glass. I was totally amazed at the difference between what this gun can do compared to a cheap one.

If this will be a tool you use every day don't cheap out. Buy something that's going to do the job the way you want, something that's going to last, and that you can get parts for.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 am
If you spend more $ on a good gun that will save you time having to sand and buff. You wont have to buy as much paint, clear, compound, sand paper, plus labor. So you spend $500 now and you will end up saving $1000 over a year versus buying a cheap gun.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:38 pm
Buy a cheap gun now for $200 and then you will buy a better gun later for $500 so you are out $700 since the cheap gun will not bring anything on resale.
Better to bite the bullet and get a decent gun now. You will be amazed at how much better they spray paint.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:17 am
Thanks for the reply everyone and info! It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the link beobob.

I was looking for a gun for mainly clear usage. That's where my orange peel starts to fight with me. :splat:
I may invest in that gun you posted.

Yea mmoeny you're right. These compounds and polishes are not cheap. So the more I could save. The better. And yea I'm sure the price of the gun will be less than the price of supplies I would end up using.

Jim, you do make a lot of sense there. $200 for a few months use only to abandon it and not be able to resell for anything and be out $200.
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a good gun that I wont need to upgrade for a while.
Thanks everyone. :goodjob:

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:13 pm
Serf27 wrote:I was looking for a gun for mainly clear usage. That's where my orange peel starts to fight with me. :splat:

This indicates, to me, a technique problem more than one with the gun. A good painter can get nice results with almost any gun. Practice with different settings until you can get it it right and only then move to a better gun to refine your result.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:58 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Serf27 wrote:This indicates, to me, a technique problem more than one with the gun. A good painter can get nice results with almost any gun. Practice with different settings until you can get it it right and only then move to a better gun to refine your result.

Hmm I have read that somewhere as well.
I have done many settings and can't seem to get it any flatter. Except if it's on horizontal panels..? I know I won't get a peel free finish. But the less peel the better.
I have a few more cars to do before I get a new gun, so I will mess with settings some more thanks NFT5.

Return to Tools and Supplies