Plasma cutter

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:34 pm
Im soon to be in the market for a decent plasma cutter, one that is durable but wont break the bank. Would like personal experience, I have used eastwoods plasma cutter but reviews are discouraging about longevity. Thanks!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 pm
I have Hypotherm Maxx 40 floor model, that we purchased new about 25 years ago. I can't recommend their products enough, in all the time we've owned it (seeing almost daily use, I'm a professional not a hobbiest) its only had to be serviced 1 time and that was due to a razor blade being dropped inside the case and frying a circuit board.

When this one decides to give up, I'll be replacing it with another Hypotherm. Works flawlessly, and have never hit the duty cycle. My advice on Welders & Plasma's: spend a little more and buy one that's bigger than anything that you plan to use it for!
"My vehicles are always dressed in formal attire, wearing a Black Bowtie"

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:17 pm
Thank you, i will check them out. I am in the range of 1000$ limit, but making the decision on something maybe 200-400$ more for the time it will have on it, should pay itself off in no time. I have learned my lesson on cheap machines

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:15 am
I got a great deal on a new Hypertherm Powermax 600 from a liquidator a few years ago.($700 Cdn) Seems very well made and customer service has been exemplary. Bigger box than the new equivalent powered models, but I get the feeling it will last a long time with my limited use. I love having a plasma cutter.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:32 am
I have a Miller Spectrum 625, yes they are pricey. I also have an Everlast EX250 TIG welder that has been great. They also make plasma's

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:08 pm
ChevyC10 65 wrote:Im soon to be in the market for a decent plasma cutter, one that is durable but wont break the bank. Would like personal experience, I have used eastwoods plasma cutter but reviews are discouraging about longevity. Thanks!

I have a Longevity that I got for Christmas year before last and haven't yet unboxed it as haven't had a project that needed it yet. That said I did quite a bit of research and read many reviews on them and I found the reviews to be quite positive. After reading this post I went back and looked more and still don't find much negative reporting on them. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I do know you have to look at reviews understanding that no matter the product you have to look at the overall ratings as there are some who will write negative reviews on Mercedes, Cadillac, or Lincoln. My research prior to buying lead me to believe for the money and hobby shop personal use they are money well spent for most folks. But as usual I may be wrong, just sayin.

Return to Tools and Supplies