spray gun question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 am
hey guys, I am in the market for a new gun and want an iwata. I am looking for a gun that focuses more on the basecoat and tricky metallic and pearls as well as basic non metallic than the clear but if it can pull off both good then great.

I really am liking the lph400, and hear the supernova is great. but from each I'm confused.

lph400 is 1.3 and 1.4 tip. green, purple, gold and silver cap. then theres LV and LVX and I don't know what else some other model. same for the supernova. is anyone familiar with these guns and know what all the differences are?

also I know theres fake lph400s, but is there also now fake supernovas? I know that the fake lph400s have undimpled hologram sticker, limited lettering on the air cap and cup is low quality pressed iwata lettering as well as off colored box. I really don't want to spend 400+ dollars for a fake, and worried of someone putting a real air cap on a fake gun. is there anything else that gives away a fake gun?

these imitators are getting very clever, i was told a guy bought over 1000 dollars of house of kolor candy paints and faded out weeks later, when he called house of kolor they confirmed it was fake. and the fake guns have all the correct paperwork included with real guns so I'm worried to buy anything. a lot of sellers are from japan, so I'm weary

thanks in advance guys

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:31 am
I use a LPH 400 and am very disappointed in it for basecoats.
I even have the special cap just for that.
I only use this gun for clear, it's the best for that.
But for basecoats, all my other guns do a better job,
including my cheap Astro.
I prefer my DeVilbiss Finishline for base the most.
I can make the Iwata work by turning up the pressure like most do
and being real carefull with tricky metallics
but the DeVilbiss is so much easier at being more consistent
and streak free I don't have any reason to use the Iwata.
I use my Iwata for clear only. My other guns can't compete
against the Iwata for spraying clear.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:31 pm
thanks for the input jc. so you are disappointed in the iwata? that's what I'm trying to avoid is getting a gun I wont be happy with. id rather have a gun that sprays tricky metallic than perfect clear since I'm going to wet sand and buff the clear anyways. atleast half the work ive been doing is metallic and I want a gun that will lay it best especially silvers. I will look into the finishline guns, I know devilbis is a good brand

Return to Tools and Supplies