Astro LVLP evo4014 no air adjustment valve?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:55 am
here are the specs & the ave cfm is much higher then the comp...think thats the issue?

Specifications:
Cup capacity: 600ml
Nozzle Size: 1.4mm (Also available 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0mm)
Operation Pressure: 25psi
Net Weight: 1.02lb / 462g
Average Air Consumption: 9.6-9.8cfm
Air Inlet Thread NPT: 1/4"
Required Compressor: 3hp
Max. Pattern at 8" Distance: 8.7-9in (220-230mm)
Air cap output: 10psi

its just odd that for an lvlp gun its higher then this hvlp gun...

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high ... 47016.html

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:04 am
Well, that sux.

The fittings, regulator, and plumbing of your compressor may be restricting the airflow... just not designed to deliver more than 5CFM.

If you have more than say 25" of 1/4" hose it will restrict the air flow as well. And no mater what size the compressor is you would have the same problem. Maybe that's it?

But here's the thing. I started out with a $129 Porter Cable pancake compressor and 25" of 1/4" hose running a 9CFM HF gun. And it worked just fine for painting small things. 150PSI at the tank, 60PSI in the line, 25-30PSI at the gun with the trigger pulled. Everything in this picture was painted with that setup and zero air supply issues.

photo.JPG

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:09 am
Well, that gun is asking for a lot more air than the compressor can deliver. As a last-ditch effort try upgrading the air hose to 3/8" i.d. and get rid of the filter at the gun handle. Dial the gun fan down to a small pattern and reduce the fluid volume knob on the gun. See if you can get it to be viable. Obviously you want to do this on some scrap/test pieces.

If that doesn't work then you need either a larger compressor or a smaller gun.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:54 am
chris wrote:Well, that gun is asking for a lot more air than the compressor can deliver. As a last-ditch effort try upgrading the air hose to 3/8" i.d. and get rid of the filter at the gun handle. Dial the gun fan down to a small pattern and reduce the fluid volume knob on the gun. See if you can get it to be viable. Obviously you want to do this on some scrap/test pieces.

If that doesn't work then you need either a larger compressor or a smaller gun.

Like i said i got it going towards the middle of my last 2 guitar bodies....i will ditch the regulator & filter & just work the gauge on the comp & try on some MDF i have before i hit the next guitar body to make sure its still somewhat tuned...i wrote down the settings..i need to work with a slow sweep so the clear will atomize...my only thing is i should have checked this all out before spending the 100 bucks on this gun cause truthfully its not doing anything more then the crappy 15 purple HF gun with my setup....& at least with the purple gun i could watch my regulator on the gun....i may just move back to it & throw this thing on craigslist...i doubt i can return it...
my fault for sure....

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:42 am
" . . . my only thing is i should have checked this all out before spending the 100 bucks on this gun . . ."

Which is why I took the time to write this entire article: http://www.autobody101.com/content/arti ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies