Opinions on this Compressor...?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 pm
I currently have a 3.7hp 60 gallon Kobalt special from Lowes that produces lots of water because it constantly runs. This Dewalt seems like a pretty good deal, 17.9 cfm at 100 psi. The other option I considered was a Campbell Hausfeld 7.5hp that Chris uses. To be honest I dont really use my compressor that much and cant justify the CH but at the price point for the Dewalt I think it will work. What do you guys think?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-80-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-DXCMV5048055/204068487

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:26 am
Have you checked CL? You can most likely find an older air compressor with similar specs for a ton cheaper from the era where everything was built better.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:15 am
That Dewalt is plenty big enough for what any one person needs.
After that, a good filtration/water capture system is most important.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:40 am
Yeah, I think that DeWalt would be okay for the hobbyist. I tell you though, I have an older 7.5 CH that's been running pretty much continuously for 24 years now in my woodshop. They are real workhorses and it has been down for only one rebuild in that time. But yeah, that DeWalt will easily answer all your needs. If you're shopping new in that price range anyway.... have you ever checked out Eaton compressors?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:50 am
I have not checked out Eaton, guess I will have to take a look. I've also checked on CL but I just can't seem to find anything I'd want and most of the time they're 3 phase units and I won't be able to use them. I'm at a point where I want/need a better compressor and new seems to be the only option. I wouldn't even consider the Dwalt if it wasn't $400 off but it is priced pretty good right now.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:08 pm
I have had a Eaton 5HP for a few years now and it serves me well.
It has some real nice features, I would highly recommend them except
I've heard on some of the forums that Eaton has changed a lot in the
last few years and are no longer American made.
I've heard people have had problems and have been disappointed about their quality.
It's sad, mine seems really good.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:09 pm
JC, yeah, there was a big blow up online about "where" they were sourcing their parts from (yes, China) but the compressors were still designed and assembled here. I don't think there quality has suffered that much. I am fairly sure they are still the only company that does a "bumper to bumper" style warranty on everything on the compressor. I also like the fact that they use disc valves on their compressor rather than reed valves.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 am
The ones I see on the internet are Polar Air Eaton and yes they do have a 5 yr warranty. Think I will keep an eye on CL for the next week or so and if I cant find a good used one I will go with said Dewalt.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:52 pm
What do you guys think about this one? Ive never heard of ProAir but I called the guy and he said its a 6.5hp, Single phase. Hes going to call me back with some CFM numbers hopefully. Maybe at $600 it would be a good deal?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/5520995245.html

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 pm
DarrelK wrote:I tell you though, I have an older 7.5 CH that's been running pretty much continuously for 24 years now in my woodshop. They are real workhorses and it has been down for only one rebuild in that time.

That is a great compressor (lot's of air, fairly quiet and industrial duty) and kick myself for not buying one while I worked for them in the late 90's early 00's. Unfortunately, it looks like they have outsourced production on their big compressors along with the rest of their products...
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies