Compressor required accessories to start working

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:15 pm
Just bought this compressor with the 2yr warranty http://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25- ... 61454.html

The instructions recommend a coupler, regulator valve, inline shut off valve and a 1/4 NPT air hose and it notes that an inline shutoff BALL valve is important

It also mentions that i may need an inline oiler, filter or dryer

I plan on using the compressor for spraying epoxy and well as for a plasma cutter, how would i know which extra components i need?

Do i need a regulator valve and a ball valve?

If there is a link that explains, i would appreciate the post and i can go through that myself

It also mentions to connect a coupler and open all the valves and regulators to expel any air, as far as i know the only valve is the pressure regulator and drain valve unless there are others

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 pm
I hate to bring bad news but that compressor is way too small to use most air tools associated with paint and body work.
I recommend at minimum 5 hp 80 gallon that puts out at least 15 cfm.

How many CFM air does your spray gun require? How much CFM does your plasma cutter need?
Do you plan to use a DA or blast cabinet?

Read this: http://www.autobody101.com/content/arti ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:14 pm
From my searching i was told that it would work for spraying but a panel at a time

I got this gun http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high ... 47016.html but i was also considering a LVLP gun if needed

the plasma cutter needs less than 4cfm at 65psi and clean dry air
http://www.amazon.com/Lotos-LTP5000D-No ... sma+cutter

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:34 pm
You gun requires 6 CFM and your compressor puts out 5.8 CFM (and most overate themselves).
Generally you want some "head room" so you get a compressor that puts out 10-15% more than your gun.
My guess is you will be very disappointed in the results but time will tell.
The accessories you are looking at will need to be purchased no matter what size compressor you use so try to get them rated to handle a bigger compressor should you later decide to go that way.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:19 am
Ill prob get this gun http://www.amazon.com/SPRAYIT-SP-33500- ... +spray+gun

So do i need every single accessory that i listed

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:12 am
I would strongly advise going up in compressor size rather than compromising on the gun.

Looking at the ad I see a gun that has no specification on tip size and claims to be LVLP but requires 28-45psi with a maximum of 60psi. That's not low pressure, or anything like it. A 4" fan says to me that you're looking at 0.8-1.0mm tip size. Maybe ok for SMART repairs or small parts but you'd really struggle to get any kind of decent finish even doing a single full panel.

For a quality gun that will work with that compressor, have a look at one of these.

Do you need a...
coupler, regulator and 1/4 NPT air hose? The compressor you linked already has a valve, coupler and regulator. 1/4 NPT air hose? 1/4 NPT is the size of a fitting but you certainly wouldn't want hose this small unless you're using an air brush.
ball valve? Not necessarily. unless you want separate setups for your gun and plasma cutter and need to isolate them. It looks like there's already one on that compressor anyway, but only to close off from the regulator on.
oiler? certainly not for the spray gun and you answered your own question here
xboxhaxorz wrote:the plasma cutter needs less than 4cfm at 65psi and clean dry air

You should use a wall mount filter/separator. That little compressor will be chucking out heaps of moisture if you work it hard, which even a small gun will do.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:09 am
my budget for a compressor was $200 and anything bigger seems to be way more, im a diy type individual so i will probably upgrade the motor and parts of the compressor later on

i will take a look at the gun, since my ********** epoxy is quite pricey i dont want to waste any and will make the investment for a decent gun

yea i kind of got confused as to why the manual mentioned a valve, coupler and regulator i mean im new to compressors but it was clearly visible on the compressor lol

im looking into the wall mounted filter now

appreciate all the info

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:54 am
xboxhaxorz wrote:my budget for a compressor was $200 and anything bigger seems to be way more, im a diy type individual so i will probably upgrade the motor and parts of the compressor later on

i will take a look at the gun, since my ********** epoxy is quite pricey i dont want to waste any and will make the investment for a decent gun

yea i kind of got confused as to why the manual mentioned a valve, coupler and regulator i mean im new to compressors but it was clearly visible on the compressor lol

im looking into the wall mounted filter now

appreciate all the info

Sorry to further burst your bubble, but you probably won't be able to upgrade the motor / pump in that configuration (direct drive).

I would take the compressor back if you can. Before the race to the bottom in the compressor market about 10-15 years ago, that motor / pump would have been used on a contractor style compressor to run nail guns on the job site. It could work for some mechanical car work (inflating tires, impact wrench, chisel). However, anything requiring constant use (sanders, spray guns, sandblasters ) would require at least a 230V single stage compressor for some intermittent use. With the unit you have, you will be waiting forever for the compressor to catch up. Also, you'll run the compressor into the ground as it isn't designed to be run continuously.

A better bet, if you are budget limited, is to keep an eye out for a used compressor on Craigslist or similar. Just make sure there are no pinholes in the tank, besides just operation if you are able.

Credentials: Former Product / Sales Manager for one of the largest (if not largest) consumer & industrial manufacturers of air compressors and tools at the time.

Return to Tools and Supplies