SATA 3000 Mini

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:44 am
Hi

I was looking at a used SATA 3000 mini, they were asking about $200 for it. It has a 1mm cap and nozzle on it and about a 4oz cup. I would want to use it for spraying motorcycle tanks fenders. Not primer just base and clear. I have my old Binks for primer. My question is will I have more money in converting this gun over to do what I want than just buying a new gun? Looks like the new 4400 mini is $450 ish. I would probably need new larger cup and lager cap. This will be the First SATA gun for me. I have used Binks guns a lot in the past. I'm not new to painting, just getting back into it after a long time.

Thanks
Mark

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:29 pm
I've got an Iwata lph80 that is only $160 new on eBay and rocks. I'd look into that first.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:32 pm
i would not buy the SATA 3000 minijet.
reason being is you would need a adapter to use the RPS cup system making the cup tall and heavy. if you like using aluminum cups that may be ok with you. the SATA RPS cups are disposable and never contaminated by dirty wash solvents. also 1.0 tip is probably to small for even a single tank. you will have a hard time achieving proper mill thickness for a durable long lasting paint job. i would recomend a SATA RP 2000, 4000, or 5000 with a 1.2 nozzle.

you also mention converting the gun ? measning buying a larger nozzle ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:01 am
Yes, I would probably want to change the cup to a disposable one and increase the nozzle size. I looked at some prices of the nozzle kits, ouch. I am thinking I will pass on this gun.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 pm
if all you do is spay once in a while get something cheaper. even the cheap guns can spray nice if set correctly

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:29 pm
True enough. I was looking at the Devilbiss touch up gun. I can get one with their D cup system and a 1.2 nozzle for quite a bit less. Does anyone have an opinion of their products? I have use their production guns in the past, but not recently.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm
Yes sir they are good guns but haven't used one in years. My buddy uses one and does amazing with it. Are you a DIY guy ? Or work in a shop ? You said getting back into it ? Welcome back !!! I do believe the GTI also comes with three nozzle sizes. At least they use to

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:53 am
I used to paint full time in collision repair in the late 70's and 80's but then went off on my own and was doing mostly motorcycles and the occasional car. Back then it was almost all lacquer with some enamel. Water based paints were just coming out. Right now I am just starting to get back into it. Most of my equipment has been sold off over the years but still have one Binks model 7 left and a couple of DA's. I have a nice 4 HP compressor that will work for now. It will be a learning curve with the newer paint products but I am sure I can figure it out. The current project is an old Triumph that I have neglected for too long. I can make all the mistakes I want on my own stuff first.

Return to Tools and Supplies