Yet another compressor + spray gun recommendation thread..

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:10 pm
Hey all, first post here, long time lurker.

I'm read and researched myself insane with how to go about getting started, and am now looking to this community for recommendations. This is my situation:

Car is in need of a respray, and minor repair in rear quarter panel and bumper. My current living situation allows me to do repairs and work at home (detached garage), *but I do not have access to a 220v outlet*. That immediately limits my compressor options. I started looking at low CFM guns as well, but am trying to figure out the best combo for about $1500US.

So in summary:

- 110v limited
- $1500US budget
- Need to spray rear quarter panel and bumper, along with future use as a "portable setup" after I move into my permanent residence allowing me a much better setup
- hope to also double for use with automotive air tools

Thanks in advance for taking the time to chime in!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:05 am
Is the goal here to just "barely" get set up for shooting a quarter / bumper? Or are you looking to buy equipment that will eventually allow you to do complete refinishing?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 am
Oops, of course my first post goes into the wrong section :/ Thanks for moving it.

My proposed setup is:

Nordson Trilogy AS-AC LVLP (~$500) rated 6-9cfm
Chicago Pneumatic 26gal 2HP (~$800) 7.1cfm@90psi

I was hoping this would provide enough air to allow me to refinish the quarter panel and number separately (shooting black paint, so in theory painting panels separately is ok?). The advantage of the Nordson is that once I move into my house and can get a good 240v compressor, all I would need to do is exchange some hardware and make it a standard spray gun. I plan to pair this to a Tekna ProLite and do a full color change on the car in 2-3 years time.

The only reason I'm contemplating this now is that I have deep scratches from a side swipe when the car was parked on the street, and I don't want to ride around primered or with bare metal scratches exposed for another year or two.

Lastly, some may say "just pay and get it fixed" - I'd rather spend that money on equipment that I can use for other things (impact wrenches and such), and develop my own skills.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:55 pm
I think you'll be pretty disappointed with a 110V compressor and I wouldn't spend that much on one if it's a temporary solution. I would see if there is anyway to get 230V to the garage and start right.

If there is no way to go 230V, I would go with electric sanders/grinders over air powered. Sanders are huge air hogs and you'll end up waiting for the compressor to catch up. Most importantly, you'll run the compressor past its duty cycle which will shorten its life.

I'm not sure where you are located, but another option is to see if there are any trade schools in your area which offer a "hobby" autobody class. They will sometimes let you work on your own car and provide a lot of the tools and materials.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:43 pm
Well.. I could theoretically run an extension to the townhome's dryer outlet which uses a NEMA 10-30 plug and connected to a double-looking "30" breaker in the box. Don't know if there's anyone with electrical experience can chime in, but I'm just trying not to burn the place down. Extension would need to be a good 75ft or so. That's my one work-around to the whole 110v situation.

I've poked around online and some say yes it's doable, others strongly warn against using a 220v extension cord for any appreciable distance.. so really not sure on that.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 pm
You have to select the proper gauged wire for the distance and amount of power you are running.
I have a 50' set up that I use for my MIG welder and it works fine. No wires getting warm or breakers tripping, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies