Clear gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 pm
Hi everyone....Im thinking of replacing my clear gun, a Devilbis Finishline 3. Im thinking the Iwata LPH400 with a 1.4 tip because Ive always heard/read thats the ultimate clear gun. Im wondering if someone can explain the multiple air caps for this gun. Ive read tons and am still confused. I saw a video of the one of the caps a while back and it supposedly atomized the clear better than the other caps because each side of the air cap had 3 holes instead of 1 or 2. So Im wondering if someone could clear the air and explain it. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 am
The other air caps was made for hard to spray metallics and pearls. They are junk. LPH400 with the original silver cap is awesome. What would you be clearing ? "Compliant" guns clear better. Supernova is a compliant gun. And a SATA RP

But either way even with that lph400 you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:29 am
PainterDave wrote:The other air caps was made for hard to spray metallics and pearls. They are junk. LPH400 with the original silver cap is awesome. What would you be clearing ? "Compliant" guns clear better. Supernova is a compliant gun. And a SATA RP

But either way even with that lph400 you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply PainterDave. Ill be clearing my first all over paint job on a mid 80s SS Monte Carlo. My devilbiss worked fine on a couple bikes I did.... But I have a lot of $$$ tied up in this car and want the best possible finish I can produce. What are the advantage(s) to an RP? Again thanks.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 am
Speed. If you're doing a complete definitely get the RP. I have 23 guns. Trained by SATA you will want the RP. good luck.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:09 am
PainterDave wrote:Speed. If you're doing a complete definitely get the RP. I have 23 guns. Trained by SATA you will want the RP. good luck.

Thanks again Painter Dave....Is there a certain Sata RP model I should be looking at? I live in upstate NY and plan on cruising down to Eastwood in Pennsylvania next week to check out their place and buy a new clear gun. Thanks I really appreciate the info.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:16 am
Give me a hour or two on my way to work and I'll explain more in post.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 am
PainterDave wrote:Give me a hour or two on my way to work and I'll explain more in post.

Awesome...Thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 am
i would look into either the 4000RP or 5000RP in a 1.3 or 1.4 i find myself using my 1.4 more than the 1.3.

i dont know what kind of set up you have to spray with as far as air and filters go, but 90% or more painters or people trying to paint make mistakes in the air pressure put to the gun.
most people think 80 psi to the gun is a good idea but it is not. if you want your gun to spray best it can run about 45 psi to the gun maybe 40 psi and it will work better for you.

these guns work on "air volume" not "air pressure" i clear with about 20 psi and only run 45 psi to the gun, sometimes less, if you do not use high flow fittings minimum 3/8 ID hose or 1/2 ID preferably your gun will not atomize properly. maybe this will help you. feel free to ask any questions and good luck on your purchase. hope this helps

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:31 am
PainterDave wrote:i would look into either the 4000RP or 5000RP in a 1.3 or 1.4 i find myself using my 1.4 more than the 1.3.

i dont know what kind of set up you have to spray with as far as air and filters go, but 90% or more painters or people trying to paint make mistakes in the air pressure put to the gun.
most people think 80 psi to the gun is a good idea but it is not. if you want your gun to spray best it can run about 45 psi to the gun maybe 40 psi and it will work better for you.

these guns work on "air volume" not "air pressure" i clear with about 20 psi and only run 45 psi to the gun, sometimes less, if you do not use high flow fittings minimum 3/8 ID hose or 1/2 ID preferably your gun will not atomize properly. maybe this will help you. feel free to ask any questions and good luck on your purchase. hope this helps

Yes it helps alot. I have a Craftsman 60 gal 5hp compressor. I dont remember the model/specs. I used it mostly for air tools. But I will check when I get out of work. So you're saying take the air pressure down at the compressor to 40/45 (in your example) and then at the gun only what it needs, like 20 in your example? Also, just so Im clear, the RP will consume more air than the HVLP? I will get a new hose and high flow fittings when I get the new gun. Thanks again.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 pm
yeah the RP uses a little more air but you can back that down a bit. let me know how it goes

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies