HELP! Water in air line

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:12 pm
Hey guys. I just finnished installing my booth and im having dramas with water in my air line. I have a motor guard toilet roll filter then straight after that i have a 3 stage desiccant filtration system. That should be perfect but i have been getting bits of water spitting out and some small silicon spots in my paint. I noticed when I disconnect my gun from the line there is a slight vapor coming out. Cheers guys.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:39 pm
How long and what kind of line do you have between the compressor and the filter?
Any water traps installed in the line?
Have you taken the filter out and looked at it?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:38 am
From the compressor to the filters is standard compressor air hose around 4 meters. The filters a brand new.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:16 pm
Couple things...if ur compressor is too small and is constantly running creating a lot of heat, it will create more moisture. Copper hard line will help dissipate the heat. Best to try and remove the water after it's had a chance to cool, the most it can at least. Make sure drain tank before u begin. Is toilet paper filter dry when u begin? Because if it's saturated when you start it won't be very effective.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:43 am
The air needs time to cool and let the water vapor condense into liquid so it can be filtered out. Otherwise it can get pats your filter, and you get problems like you're having. Suggest a minimum of 50' of pipe between the compressor and the filter bank. More is better, within reason. Pro systems run the air through what is basically a refrigerator before the filters to really pull all the moisture out of the air.

And like previously stated, if your compressor is too small and it's working hard to keep up, it will get hot and create more water vapor.

good luck.

Return to Tools and Supplies