tools and supplies that are useful

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:54 pm
howdy all!
I am currently going to a trade school for auto collision repair. I currently have a pretty good set of tools from a snap on grant that I got. however I have a question about some tools that I would like and I am not to sure how useful they would be in auto body....

I currently have a 18v dewalt impact that I have had for a while. I have found that it is extremely useful in mechanic work that I do on our vehicles. So my questions are:

1. I dont want to take my impact drill back and forth from work/school and home would it be worth getting the newer 20v?

2/ would 18/20v have to much power for some front end bolts and pieces?

3. would maybe the 12v setup be better with a little less torque?

I know the 18v that I have does bumpers and bigger things like that really well but I have never used it for smaller things. I have a 1/4 air ratchet so in a way I am thinking of using this as a 3/8 "air ratchet".

what do you guys think?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:07 am
I would go with this and get a set of the hex attachments with the 1/2" drive, 1/4" drive etc. maybe the drill bit hex attachment too if you do any drilling.

http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-12v-max-cord ... rewdriver/
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm
I've been a tech on the line at BMW for about 8 years and have been doing auto stuff for well over a decade, so take it for whatever its worth.

One thing though DONT BUY THE **** TOOLBOX is my only advice. I see so many new techs coming in the shop who took a loan out for there 10K snap-on roller and dont have any tools. Anyway that said as far as taking the car apart.

I use this guy to get at most of the little screws for nose panels bumpers, etc. Its nice cause you can get adapters to run it as a 1/4, 3/8, etc ratchet. You can also get the electric ratchet running the same batterys. Cost effective solution. I think I only paid 50-60 new for the gun without the battery/charger cause I already had the rachet which comes with two batterys and a charger.

Also have one of these guys, which are also good for the little stuff you don't want to strip. The milwaukee type, makita, etc has some more torque but you gain trigger control so you don't go over torqueing stuff pretty fast. I like the snap on stuff better for interior pieces and such.

For bigger bolts you can get the snap on electric impact. That thing is expensive but it as good as my MG725 air gun. Cracks wheel and suspension bolts with ease.

Personally on older cars I like to crack stuff loose by hand, like BMW fenders because they are shallow torx bolts that easily strip. And a lot of the guns have variable speed triggers so you can finesse lighter screws once you get used to it.

You can probably get away with using either but im a fan of having the little guys on the line because you can just grab it and use it sloppily knowing your not going to strip something if your trying to make time.

Im a fan of getting a bunch of tools that run off the same batteries and stuff so you steal a battery from another tool and throw the dead one in the charger. Just some food for thought.

Return to Tools and Supplies