Economy Paint Gun Recommendation

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 pm
Hi All,

I'm putting together a reconditioning course with one of the topics being bumper repair and spot painting. Unfortunately our budget does not allow for us to provide high quality paint guns. Can anyone recommend an affordable gun in the $50 range that will do the job? Will also need 3 oz. cups as an extra purchase to keep it legal to spray outside of a booth here in CA.

I did not see any here on our host's site. Below is a kit of two guns plus a DA and regulator for a fair price but it may all be junk. Anybody used these? To give you an idea of the amount of guns, I would be purchasing 12 guns.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/4-pc-hv ... 26395.aspx

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:33 pm
BUMP.

Ok, can anyone recommend decent paint gun for training thats under $100?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 am
I am not an expert by any means, but I'll chime in. You can go really cheap, and get a harbor freight gun. Usually like $19 or less at times with coupon or something like that. Is it the best, no way, but it does have the adjustments as any paint gun does. Which is probably what you need for training. Some guys say they shoot with it and get great results, other guys say it's junk. But usually the guys getting great results are experienced painters. But really, what does a guy think he's gonna get for a $19 gun...it's not going to be high end for that price. I got one, does the job for spraying some primers, yard signs, shop equipment. I myself wouldn't use it to shoot a car or something I want super smooth. #2, you could move up to the Devilbiss Starting Line Series. I see the "kit" that comes with a regular size gun and a smaller touch up size gun goes for around 130 or so depending on where you look. There are some no names on ebay that are running cheap as well. TCP Global brand going for 50-70. Devilbiss makes 3 oz disposable DeKups. Just need to get the right adapter to fit the gun you buy. Good luck.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:36 am
I found that the harbor Freight full size guns have poor transfer efficiency and it's harder to get a flat finish (poor atomization). But I have found a mini gun at HF that is quite good. http://m.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html.
This one is not built very well but it does spray great.

Pros: Cheap, easy to setup and get a flat finish, 2-3" fan pattern, low CFM consumption, sprays slow (good for beginners), you can spray upside down by adjusting the angle of the pot.

Cons: cheaply made, more difficult to clean, .9mm tip (you may have to thin some paints), small fan, the cap leaks/drips (bad design),

I haven't tried any metallics with this gun. I have a small repair I might try it on.

-Vetsen

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:23 pm
I really appreciate the replies!

Due to some Budget Juggling, I can spend more than I thought.

I agree a cheap gun is all they need for training, however, if it doesn't spray well then their confidence may suffer causing a potential learning block. ( thats just the teacher in me thinking out loud). From a practical standpoint, the students are really hard on our equipment so a quality gun will last longer and may be cheaper in the long run.

Devilbiss has a Voc Ed program and I can buy 2 SRI Pro Detail Guns and get a third free! That's about $230 a gun. But no 3 oz stainless cup which I hear is necessary for CA compliance to spray outside a booth (will post that question in another post) Devilbiss has no 3 oz stainless cups only disposable which we would rather not have to have the extra expense. It looks like .a good gun that will last.

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/pr ... epair.aspx

Another option is a detail gun kit called Asturo from Italy. Anyone have any experience with this brand??. It comes with the stainless 3 oz cup, extra tips and a case. The vendor however, looks a little flighty at best.

http://spraygunworld.com/products/Astur ... rCase.html

This kit is attractive due to its multiple tips, 3 cups and a case for organization and inventory control which is always a concern.

Once again, I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 pm
what did you wind up going with? and what do you recommend years later?

Return to Tools and Supplies