Straight line air sander

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:39 am
looking for some guidance in picking up a straight line air sander.

I will probably only use this sander for one paint job. I know you get what you pay for, but would getting an Ingersol Rand vs china import make sense for someone who doesn't do it every day or regularly?

My car is long and (should be) flat... and the thought of sanding this whole car by hand like the other paint jobs I have done is already making my body hurt.

Price difference is about 60% more for the IR vs the china import. $75 vs $170

Matt
HellaFab.ca

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:30 pm
Chinese junk has NO resale value.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:29 pm
For one car, you would think the cheapo would get you by. But, let's say halfway thru the "one car" job, this cheapo sander quits...then you need to buy a new one...I'll bet you go buy the better one 2nd time around...
Just my .02, but I like quality in my tools, so I'd spend and go with something that will last. Once you have it, you will likely find other uses for it.
Also, get a flat board, if you don't already have one. Make sure you block it out with the board and guide coat and not the inline sander. Will turn out nicer IMO..Especially with the bigger car with lots of flat area. Just easier to control the board by hand, again, my opinion. If you just wanna remove the paint, maybe think about a nice IR DA sander.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:35 am
I have a board already.

I will be doing a nice hand sand once everything is pretty good.

I would be using it both for paint removal, initial sanding once I skim the car and subsequent passes.

I will use the board for blocking and knocking down high-build.
HellaFab.ca

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:52 am
I have a Hutchins inline sander. I use it on larger surfaces and the key is to not press down on it but let its own weight rest on the panel. Not as easy as it sounds.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm
I bought a Chinese cheapo when working on an 87 blazer- lots of straight, flat panels.
it lasted 10 minutes before something internal broke, and even that 10 minutes wasn't nice operating. I almost didn't buy another one.
found an IR at a pawn shop that looked in pretty darn good shape. im glad I didn't let that Chinese cheapo keep me from buying another one.
what coronet said about letting the sander do the work- I found that out real quick.
got any pawn shops up there?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:21 am
Hmmmm. I had two of the Chinese cheapies before I ordered an IR all the way from America.

When it arrived here it was almost identical to the Chinese ones, save for red rather than yellow paint. Suffers exactly the same problems, too. :cry:
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies