Air line (plumbing) fittings ... union joints

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:33 pm
I have been reworking my air lines for my compressor.

During my home remodel I installed 1/2" black iron pipe across the attic out to the north end of the house to my out door work area.

For ten years or more I have had a *less than wonderful* set-up in my garage which included some PVC and no real sump area to collect water.

I installed 1/2" black iron in the garage (eliminating all PVC) plus a run up to the attic to connect to the existing iron pipe I installed earlier with the home remodel. I need to make the connection between my two sections in the attic.

Here's the question:

Will a union joint seal well enough and stay sealed on an air compressor installation like this?

Would it be better to install fittings and use a short section of hose to connect the two sections?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:58 am
Well there is no reason you can't use a union however I usually like to use this for that kind of connection....
https://www.zoro.com/hose-master-flexib ... lsrc=aw.ds
That's just an example I pulled up.... there are variations on end fittings, sizes, lengths, etc. I like using that type of hose as it is durable and gives sections of pipe the ability for some movement if needed. When we come out of our compressor we use on of those as an "isolator" so vibration and shock is not transferred into our pipe system.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:05 am
Thanks DarrelK

Hose is certainly one of my options. I suppose I would need to use a quick connect on one end.

I am using a hose to connect from the compressor to the pipe system, so that situation is not a problem.

I would still like to hear from someone using union joints successfully or having experience that might lean to ruling them out on this type system.

Thought I'd toss in a PIC of some of the upgrade work. This is the initial portion, sump area with filter. Pipe to left goes to my work bench area end of garage. This pipe is installed with a slight slope to avoid accumulated sitting water in the line ... about 14 feet in length with the connection point at the work bench area about 2.5" higher than the supply end you see here. The pipe going up is (of course) to the attic for connection to line for my out door work area.

Return to Tools and Supplies