3M 6001 Organic Vapor Cartridges????

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:37 am
How long should the 3M 6001 Organic Vapor Cartridges last? I know there is a lot of variables, but what is worst case?

After maybe 8 hours of use I start smelling fumes pretty good. I take that as an indication it's time to change the cartridges?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 am
Isocyanates (ISOs) do not give off a smell.
With the ISO rated cartridges 8 hours of exposure is the maximum.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:04 am
Yep, variables are the problem..... put a kid in a one car garage with a box fan trying to do an overall shoot and I'd give those carts more like an hour to hour and hour and a half tops. Pro painter in a pro booth and you'd probably easily exceed the 8 hour limitation. And yes, unlike the good old days of "smell the contaminant/dump the carts" ISOs don't work like that. They saturate the carbon but give off little to no smell. You can be breathing some fairly concentrated nasty stuff without knowing it. To this day, I still can't lay down in a bed because of my ISO poisoning.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 pm
So, worst case is about an hour of actual exposure? So for me that works out to six 10 minute sessions, or two days of spraying.

For reference, I am spraying in an enclosed 10'X10' tent. I have 3 box fans in one wall, and a 3'X3' window covered with noseum screen (to keep the bugs out) in the opposite wall. My lazy Sussan paint table sits right in front of the window. Fog doesn't get that bad inside the enclosure and is gone 30 seconds or so after I quit spraying. Amount of fog outside is crazy after spraying 5 parts.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:48 pm
Darrel... When you say you can't lay down in a bed, is that because you have become sensitized and beds have low level in them? If you are that sensitive, how can you paint anything?

When I first started painting I was just spraying in the open, not wearing a mask at all. Figured being out in the open would be enough. After a good day of spraying I found it was not. Ended up with a rough scratch throat for a couple of days. I bought a mask the next day. No problems since, just trying to be careful with my health. You only have one set of lungs.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm
And while I am thinking about it... any special precautions needed when sanding clearcoat?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:24 am
Okay, I ended up actually being classified as having COPD and lost about 60% of my lung capacity. I don't lay down because I still have a some minor fluid build up in my lungs overnight so I wake up feeling like I'm almost drowning. My lung function is now back up in the 90% range, no longer see a pulmanology guy on a regular basis, and don't really live life much different than before. The "way" I can paint cars is using a complete suit from head to toe with a supplied breathing system. I use it even when just mixing stuff or being around a car which is "off gassing." And yes, if I am sanding a "fresh" clear coat I also wear it. If that coating has sat for a week or two then I"m okay with it .
Three box fans.....hmmmmm..... I'd be looking at a breathing system rather than tempting fate with any type of carbon system. Remember, there is NO known test for when activated charcoal has reached its' saturation point. We spend thousands of dollars on supplies, tools, etc..... a breathing system is in the $300 to $400 range... it is worth it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:24 am
Now that this conversation is up in the air, is the lingering smell of paint bad for the lungs?
Not any clouds of spray, just the smell.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:36 pm
Serf27 wrote:Now that this conversation is up in the air . . .

No pun intended?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:53 am
So to "air" that out the rest of the way...... :wink: If you are smelling stuff, well, of course there is still some "off gassing" of the surface in question. Is it enough to be a problem????....you just don't know. We don't really have ways to "quantify" atmospheric conditions within our shop space. In my opinion the big problems with ISOs isn't so much killing people it is more like..... How much of this stuff can I get exposed to before I hit an ISO level that causes me chronic health problems? My doctor's opinion was just that one bad session that I had that pushed me over that limit. Burning eyes, throat, lungs, nostrils, the works.... couldn't sleep, couldn't eat (lost my sense of taste), headaches, sore joints, muscles, and fluid starting to build up in my lungs..... Trust me, if you get this level of exposure you'll know it....
And now back to the "cloud" we go...... :splat: :rotfl:

Return to Tools and Supplies