Rage Ultra Filler

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:20 pm
Just a quick update, on the latest Rage "Ultra" filler. great product to use. I have over 50 professional years at Auto Body and Custom car building. Never had a filler crack, till I tried the new Ultra. It cracked with no rhyme or reason. Some places applied as thin as 3/32". It didn't crack till I had urethane primer on it and cured for a couple of months at room temp. I have used rage fillers before with no problems. I had used about 4 gallons in the process of doing the body, and box, on my latest Pro Street pick up project. Maybe my batch was the only bad one but wanted to alert fellow tradesmen. I had thought it was maybe too heavy of primer, but after test sanding areas, I found the cracks were in the filler. I use DP 74 Epoxy prime on all blasted or chem treated projects. I have used PPG products most of my career. I build high dollar show vehicles and have always been very careful about what or how I use a product. I hope that am am the only one with this nightmare and the product has been corrected some how. First bad filler in 50 years.......wonder where the chemicals are coming from now? Thanks for your forum, Jim.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:16 pm
Jim,,, I know and have seeded your work in yrs, it's the best I've ever seen!, I wounder what Paul is using,, maybe just go over and have a talk with him or ask eastman if they come across any problems like your having. I know all of us paint finish guys use the same material with good luck and then yaks,, , Oh PS,, Pauls shop is cold compaired to yours to,, I wish I could help,, I know you will work it out and this truck will be in many cars shows when completed.. Good luck Stubby

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 am
I've been using the "Ultra" since it first came out. Great stuff, never an issue and easier to work then Rage Gold. Something isn't right here. I would get in touch with the manufacturer and seller and see if anyone else has had any issues. My restoration projects are 1 to 3 year projects so they set for long periods while waiting on parts or such. I use Tamco epoxy primers under and their urethane blocking primers on top.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 am
Having been in the chemical business for many years you usually don't have problems with "one" customer and a bad product. These products are made in such large batches that the bad product affects hundreds, if not, thousands of customers. Saying that, however, products can be affected in the distribution/ warehousing segment of sales. Years ago one of the large stripper suppliers was blending in California and shipping east going through the desert with non temperature controlled trucks. The chemistry in the barrels was reaching hot enough temp.s which caused the activators in the strippers to "salt out" and leave a very weak stripping solution. Again, so much was being sold that their phones rang off the hook within weeks. They ended up using refrig. trucks set just cool enough to prevent the problem. So a properly made product was made useless by improper transportation by the manufacturer themselves...... go figure.....
I too, have been using the Ultra now for quite sometime in both wood and metal restoration and haven't seen any problems with it. We've used every kind of coating process imaginable over top of it always with consistent results.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23 pm
Marson Platinum (not plus) has been working well for me even after 3M bought them out.

I used the Rage products prior to the Marson but their prices were reaching the extremely ridiculous point. The Marson is easy to sand and rarely have I had a pinhole problem. Never had it crack on me so I just stay with it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:15 pm
Hey, 68, quick question.... Did Marson get bought out by 3M? I guess I am asking if they are still labeling it the same way or is it a 3M product now?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:27 pm
Yes 3M bought them out.
Can is labeled 3M Platinum 01171 and if you search for Marson Platinum that's what will come up. Looks and performs just as he did under the Marson title.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:25 pm
Thanks, at their price point we might be at least trying it soon.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:12 pm
I'm sure I am not looking at the right thing when I google this but they both seem to be about $45-50/gallon. Am I missing something?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 pm
t63conv wrote:I'm sure I am not looking at the right thing when I google this but they both seem to be about $45-50/gallon. Am I missing something?

Going by local jobber prices the Platinum is close to $15 cheaper.
1968 Coronet R/T

Return to Tools and Supplies