Newbie...Turbine Paint System Eastwood Vs. TP

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am
Newbie on the board, so Hello from Lexington, KY :-)

I am looking at Turbine Paint Systems and currently considering the TP Tools Showtime 90 HVLP System
http://www.tptools.com/Showtime-90-HVLP ... ?b=d*13231

and the Eastwood System
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-apollo ... h-gun.html

The Eastwood is a 5 Stage @ 9.5 PSI.
Any reviews or comparison between the units, which is easier to work with and gives the best results? Other suppliers to consider for a better unit?

Thanks. I have some experience painting, but new to the Turbine units.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm
You can look me up on here concerning turbine systems. I have a rather extensive background with them for the last 36 years or so.
Okay, here's how those break down.... TP is half the cost and includes a great turbine touch-up gun.... Apollo unit is twice as much in price and is going to generate more "heat" in the system with very little gain in overall spray quality, yes, you pickup more "cfm throughput" with it but this is kind of overkill. My shop 4 stage puts out more than that. Once you get past 4 stages the benefits are just not that great. Also, I absolutely hate that restrictive gun that comes with the Apollo system. It is a gun that is designed to work better with these higher pressure systems but again there are tradeoffs, one being that overspray increases.
And have you shopped around for any of the Fuji 4 stage units yet? There newest systems are kind of a compromise between that Apollo and TP system. Also consider looking at used TP and Fuji systems on Craigslist or Ebay. There is so little that goes wrong with these systems and SO MANY people that can't figure them out that used system are just about anywhere. One of my wood restoration customer even just gave me a TP turbine when her renter moved out.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:07 pm
Excellent. Thank you for the quick reply and excellent information. I will look at the Fuji systems too but now leaning towards TP based on your post, may have saved me a lot of money since I was likely buying the Eastwood before. Sounds like the Guns are a lot nicer for the TP.

What is the advantage (if any) of going with Fuji?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 pm
I would say that the Fuji advantages are a company with longevity and proven technology. They use American made turbines which continue, at least in my opinion, to the be the most durable of all the units. Their units don't need the additional stages of newer system designs which seem to be in a "race" to see how many turbine stages that most manufacturers can boast about. Fuji has also been working diligently with new gun designs which make it easier for a novice coming from compressed air to figure things out quickly. Several guys have them on this forum and really like them. Their price point is decent as well. You'll find their 4 stage models almost smack in the middle between those Eastwood units and the TP units.

And..... that TP system there is at a great price for what it can do. These systems were based on the old Sicmo guns which I have 5 of.... They have been used every single week for the last 34 years with NO down time. Only routine gaskets, seals, & cleaning. They've been used with 1,2, 3, and 4 stage turbines over the years. TP has only recently started using a further evolved gun design of that original Sicmo design. Again, this is a company also of longevity in this business.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:19 am
https://www.paintsprayersplus.com/Fuji- ... swodBQENkw

Is this a good Fuji unit or is there a better one to look for?. I will only be using this for automotive paint.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:35 pm
Yes, that is an excellent system. The Mini 4 stage turbine has been around for years and is the basis for our in-shop gun systems. You have the added advantage here of that new flexible gun design. Being able to flex the cup like that pretty handy plus the gun does have its' own kickstand so you can just set it right on a bench without a special holder. The 9 psi rating is just about perfect for shooting any of the automotive coatings, again without getting into the higher heat buildup of more turbine stages. That is also a good price point for it especially when the free shipping is dialed into the deal. Here might be just a little better deal on that same system which would also include free shipping....
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informatio ... utfit.html

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:26 am
DarrelK wrote:Yes, that is an excellent system. The Mini 4 stage turbine has been around for years and is the basis for our in-shop gun systems. You have the added advantage here of that new flexible gun design. Being able to flex the cup like that pretty handy plus the gun does have its' own kickstand so you can just set it right on a bench without a special holder. The 9 psi rating is just about perfect for shooting any of the automotive coatings, again without getting into the higher heat buildup of more turbine stages. That is also a good price point for it especially when the free shipping is dialed into the deal. Here might be just a little better deal on that same system which would also include free shipping....
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informatio ... utfit.html

Thank you, I will probably go that route with that supplier, I appreciate the suggestions. It looks like I have some choices on the system, Bottom Feed Vs. Gravity and Nozzle Size. I am used to Gravity fed normal guns, is that the best with a Turbine too? What Nozzle size is best for automotive paint (Generally PPG)?

Thanks again. This is a great site, I have been doing a lot of reading and picked up a lot of pointers on body work that I will be experimenting with, some I already do, but some new/different techniques.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 pm
You always want to go gravity feed when using turbine systems in an automotive paint application. Gravity is always going to help with heavier/thicker fluids. As for tips you'll need to check that directly with Fuji since this is essentially a newer gun design. PPG stuff should shoot fine through that gun but just remember you may have to make minor adjustments in fluid viscosity (generally slightly increasing thinner/reduction route). If a viscosity cup and guide are included with your system that's the first place to start.
Oh, and Spraygunworld is part of the TCP Global group. I've bought several times from them with minor problems but they generally get the larger purchases like this right and shipped within a decent period. Just a heads up......

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 am
Hello from another newbie in winchester ky. Just wondering which system you ended up with and how it worked. I found a great deal on a fuji system on ebay but haven't used it yet. Mine came with 3 caps but not one for primers, so I'm going to have to get another gun or 1.8mm cap for my gun.

Return to Tools and Supplies