What kind of 220volt outlets do I have?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:51 am
Just got access to a family members shop to rent so I'm excited to restore a few of my cars.

I'm ready to invest in a real compressor but got confused quick about 220 volt specs.

I got lots of 110 v legs
I got 1 220 plug in picture on a 20 amp breaker

In other picture I have a 50 amp plug on a 20 foot long large wires from box on a 60 amp breaker. They used an rv with this.

Can I get ok compressor for standard 220 plug, just look for amp ratings?

Or can I get something better that works on rv plug? Will those have a plug shaped the same or is there a converter? Thanks!

IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 am
You need to read the specs on your new compressor.
Amperage makes a big difference in the wire size and plug.

The one in the second picture is more like what you will need.

Here is a 220v 30 amp receptacle:
30 amp 220v.JPG
30 amp 220v.JPG (10.63 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:51 pm
Yeah, I'd agree with 68 on that. That top white outlet is more like what you would see for most 220 V window air conditioners. You are more on track with the bottom one.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:16 pm
i believe the shop was built in the 80's.just curious if plug types have changed?

i see entry level compressors at home depot that allow 15 amps so they should run on that leg but the plug may look different?

thats scary am i going to need to get an electrician to test?

i assume i need a compressor for auto use that exceeds the typical 220 outlet?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:49 pm
For safety sake I'd just skip all this plug stuff. The compressor you will buy should spec. the gauge of wiring needed. I have always just direct wired from the junction box on the compressor to the main electrical service in the building. Plugs just add more resistance/complication to a system. If you just direct wire it with new wire you'll have no worries.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:18 pm
I am with Darrelk on this one but unless you understand how to wire a 220v system you had best pay someone to do it.

The distance of the compressor from the Service Panel will also make a difference in the size of the wire needed.

Also, when installing a compressor to handle body work and painting you will not want one that is too small to handle your tool needs. Personally I think that 15 CFM is the minimum size for a one man shop. Getting an 80 gallon tank will also help with air supply.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 pm
There is no answer to this question until you find the compressor you want to use. I had to run 6-gauge copper on a 50A circuit with a pretty sizeable blade switch in the garage, along with a service disconnect within six feet of the motor. It's a 7.5hp motor.

I also have an old IR portable 220V 3hp compressor that has the air conditioner style plug, but that compressor is really only good for small air tools.

Keep in mind too, plugs and outlets are awful devices meant only for convenience. There is no better way to have an unwanted resistive load (i.e. source of wire heat and fatigue) in the circuit besides introducing a plug.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 pm
Yeah, my 7.5 in our wood shop is pretty much set up like Chris's unit. And, just to clarify for safety sake.....if you don't feel confident doing your own wiring or have not done much wiring hire it out. Any of these compressors pull a lot of initial amperage which will put marginal wiring to the test. The larger units have their own mag starters just because of that. The only reason I do my own wiring is because I grew up with electricians and plumbers in our family.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm
sorry if i sound clueless here but are people saying the larger compressors typically dont have plugs?

i dont have a desire to rewire anything this is a shop on a farm that had tractors and an rv using the 50 amp plug. so whats the difference between an rv that has 2 ac units,etc. and an air compressor thats listed at less amps?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:05 pm
Okay, so I went and looked up the install manuals on a couple of cheap compressors ($500 to $700 220V models). They both said to direct wire them and one said to direct wire it even if it came with a plug. And, yes, there is a difference between running those two RV air conditioners and an air compressor like this....it keeps coming back to that start up amperage. Putting plugs and receptacles in your lines is like putting restrictions in a fire hose....will it still work, well, yeah, but will it add stress to the system and possibly blow out at the restrictions, it definitely can...
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies