Temporary paint booth idea - What do you think?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:00 pm
After shooting a test panel in my 45' by 45' garage, I've seen how easy it is to get dirt/dust in the paint. I'm thinking of picking up some EMT thin wall electrical 3/4" conduit and using that to construct a 15'W by 30'L by 10'H frame and then covering it with 6 Mil clear plastic sheeting (drop cloth). I then thought to maybe use box fans to pressurize the room positively with filters before the fans and have exhaust openings on the other side. Do you think this would work to keep it clean. I like the EMT idea because it would be easy to setup, take down, and store. Materials with the pipe, plastic sheeting, and fittings to assemble would be under $300.

Your thoughts are welcome ~ Lenny B

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:11 am
I started my first project over a year ago and learned the hard away about how nasty this work is, needing air exchange, and having to deal with debris and overspray in the air.

I refuse to give up but am sick of cutting corners. I am renting a family's shop and want to do other things later.

I decided I'm going to try one of those eBay inflatable paint booths myself. I just want no part of the mess outside of work area, all the stuff to trip over. Etc.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 am
tractor supply sells a 10x20 tarp garage for $99

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 am
What you are looking to do is fairly common. High quality paint jobs are done in less than perfect conditions every day.

I would go for 2X4 construction with screws. Cheap, sturdy, fairly easy to build, take apart, and you can staple the plastic to the wood. frame out for the fans in one wall. 20X20 box fans are OK, but don't move as much air as you think they would once you put a decent filter on them. I have 3 in my 10X10, should have used 4. If you seal the enclosure up halfway decently you can direct your exhaust out of the building. Exhaust size is just as important as the amount of air the fans can move.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:39 pm
I started out with a 10x20 canopy for $119 from academy sports the tarped around with a 26" shop fan did pretty well now I'm building a 14x26 paint booth now

Return to Tools and Supplies