It is time to grow up and buy a gun for more than $16 and us

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 pm
I started painting a few years ago and still use one HarborFreight $16 gun for primer/paint/clear. (I paint a few body parts a month). I repaint pretty often blaming myself for screw ups. Maybe it is time to buy better gun and use more expensive clear.
I would buy a gun for $60-100, suggestions? Average quality clear(not the cheapest one)? Is Proclear bad choice? Thanks.
Experience: 40 body parts.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 am
I reckon that the difference between a $16 gun and a $60-80 gun is the price.

If you're painting regularly, even 3-4 times/month, then at least buy something half decent. Lots of threads here about guns but Devilbiss Finishing Line is generally agreed as a good budget gun. If you only have to do half the reworks because you've learnt to use a better gun it will save you much more than its cost in time and materials.

Do some research on clears. Many mid-range clears are just as good as top of the line products but just pitched at a higher volume, lower price bracket - just as some guns are.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:04 am
If you are going to "grow up" into a serious car painter then you better dig a little deeper into your wallet.
What separates the higher end guns from the cheapo models is the materials they are made from and the machining tolerances.
A Chinese knock off gun may look like an exact copy of a SATA or Iwata but looks are as far as it goes. The quality control standards are basically non -existent in the knock off guns.

Figure $300 for a decent entry level spray gun. You might try buying a used gun but be sure it is in great condition.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 pm
Go with a good paint gun, and do not look back. Yeah i painted it to match white...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:33 pm
if you want to stop blaming yourself, which i think that blame is for being cheap on the most important tool for auto body( the spray gun) then please take coronets advise and up your spending for a gun. you wont be discouraged if you buy a quality bc/cc gun.
save the cheap guns for the primer that gets sanded.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 pm
I think you can get a Sharpe Finex gun for a little over $100 that may be worth considering.----In my opinion Acme- Finish 1 clears are pretty decent and reasonably priced.

Return to Tools and Supplies