best bodyfillers and cheap putty applicators (aus)

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:42 am
hey guys

I am wondering about the best bodyfillers people use ? I have used upol flyweight gold in the past, and it was ok,

is there an all in 1 2k polyester body filler thats fast setting easy sanding can fill pinholes as well as bigger defects etc, or are you better off with multiple products?

i'm in australia so any aussies with thoughts let me know

also wondering where to get cheap body filler applicators

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 pm
Very much a case of personal preference.

I like a smoother bog so the European style UPOL Fantastik suits me. The American fillers I find a bit coarse and sandy.

While the UPOL can be an all in one I think that one really needs a fine filler for finishing/pinholes etc. There is nothing, in my experience, that comes close to Axalta 768R Fine Filler.

While we have some, we don't use plastic applicators as a rule in my shop. Instead, we use the metal ones. Come in a packet of different sizes and can be easily cleaned after use (if you don't wait too long) using a tissue with a little GP thinners. Sometimes they need a little work around the edge where the shape stamping has created a sharp ridge, but once done they are far superior to the plastic ones and last for years. Make sure you get the ones with the rounded corners, not the square cut corners. For really big areas Bunnings have a metal blade one designed for Gyprock which saves a lot of work and gets a smoother finish with less edges than the smaller blades.
Chris

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:35 am
Oh didn't realise they could be easily cleaned with thinners I will do that. I've been scraping them off on a piece of tin before they seat. Haha diy fail.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I will get a finishing filler.

Return to Tools and Supplies