Wax from tack rags??

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 am
I read the thread on paint prep and there is a lot in there about Wax and Grease removers. I am using the "cheap" duplicolor brand and it appears to be pretty weak. After using the W&G remover I used a cheap tack rag (basically feels like wax coated cheesecloth) purchased from big box store.
I was getting strange glossy spots that looked like fingerprints and the W&G remover would not remove them. After some trial and error I figured out these spots were coming directly from the tack rags where a finger tip was pressing with a little too much pressure.

Is there a correct tack rag? I hate to be contaminating the surface trying to get the dust off?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:16 am
You are right about those cheap tack rags.

The links below are just for reference and better prices can be found.

Cyrstal Premium Tack Rags are what I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYSTAL-PREMIUM ... 2548.l4275

Prep is that major part of painting a car. There are sticky posts on here detailing nearly every step of the way and which products people have found effective.
Research thoroughly before you spend money and waste time having to do things over again.

Get a box of Nitrile Gloves and wear them while cleaning and spraying your car:
http://www.esafetysupplies.com/Raven-Ni ... Ak1N8P8HAQ
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:18 pm
I quit using tack rags more than 20 yrs ago.
I hate those things.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm
Funny how everyone has their own little preferences. I've been using the Gerson yellow tack cloths (they're the really waxy ones), for years and love them.

I also use PPG Prepsol which is the most aggressive of the W&G removers.

But.........I never tack until the Prepsol has completely evaporated.

So I never have the issue of the solvent softening the wax and leaving deposits on the surface. By using just a light, even pressure on the tack cloth, together with a blow gun, I get a very clean surface. The tack cloth needs to be opened up each time and (obviously) a clean side used. It gets put away into a ziplock plastic bag immediately after use.

Sometimes it's not just the tools you use, but how you use them, that's important.
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies