Gun spraying intermittently

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:37 pm
I'll throw one more thing out there -- if the gun has one of those little filter/strainer things inside the cup, get rid of it. Just strain your paint as you pour it into the cup and don't worry about that little filter. It's evil.

This is what it looks like:

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:44 pm
PainterDave wrote:fluid needle packing will let the gun leak but it will not cause sputtering.

Copy that Dave. Just to be clear, it is literally spraying paint, then it just shoots air, then paint, then air.... the paint atomizes nicely when the gun actually delivers it. It is almost rythmic in it's malfunction...not entirely random.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm
chris wrote:I'll throw one more thing out there -- if the gun has one of those little filter/strainer things inside the cup, get rid of it. Just strain your paint as you pour it into the cup and don't worry about that little filter. It's evil.

This is what it looks like:

Thanks Chris. I am using 3M PPS which doesn't have that, but it does have a wide flat screen in it..tore that thing out just in case...no change.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:16 pm
I had that problem once and it was because the air vent hole on the cup top was plugged.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:17 pm
only other thing i can tell you is dont buy cheap guns
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:30 pm
PainterDave wrote:only other thing i can tell you is dont buy cheap guns

I'm learning that...used gun twice and I get this happening. :knockout:

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:57 pm
You should be able to paint a hobbyist paint job with that Concours. Call Eastwood's tech line and go over the issue. Could be a bad seal somewhere in the gun. On some of the hot rod forums guys have had similar issues with relatively low use.

Lots of people paint without a Sata or Iwata. That said I bought a used Iwata a couple months back and rebuilt it and it's great. Huge difference between that and a sub $100 gun and a difference, though not quite as much as my Air Gunsa.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am
Well, after breaking the gun down completely and cleaning it four times and checking seals...i couldn't see any obvious issues. I called Eastwood and explained that I've only used it twice in the 3 years I've had it, the tech said there is a high probability something was machined incorrectly. Replacement on the way free of charge. I had no idea there was a 10 year warranty on them. Good way to start my day. Hopefully this one is correct....otherwise there is a Tekna Copper I have my eye on. Thank you for all your reaponses.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:23 am
I'm pleased to hear that they're replacing your gun under warranty but we never actually got to the cause of the problem.

Reading through the thread though, I noticed this:

Dicey58 wrote:I checked and rechecked that and really torqued it down. These guns have a plastic air manifold, and I pulled that, reseated it and put the nozzle back on and retorqued.

I'm wondering now if too much torque may have been the problem - generally air gun fittings take a seat it and just snick up approach. On quality guns the machining tolerances are good enough that a seal can be achieved with minimal 'torque' and too much torque can ruin the facings to the point where they need to be replaced.

I can't say that I've ever had a gun where actual torque settings have been given, but I'd suggest that they'd be fairly low.
Chris

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 pm
NFT5 wrote:I'm pleased to hear that they're replacing your gun under warranty but we never actually got to the cause of the problem.

Reading through the thread though, I noticed this:

Dicey58 wrote:I checked and rechecked that and really torqued it down. These guns have a plastic air manifold, and I pulled that, reseated it and put the nozzle back on and retorqued.

I'm wondering now if too much torque may have been the problem - generally air gun fittings take a seat it and just snick up approach. On quality guns the machining tolerances are good enough that a seal can be achieved with minimal 'torque' and too much torque can ruin the facings to the point where they need to be replaced.

I can't say that I've ever had a gun where actual torque settings have been given, but I'd suggest that they'd be fairly low.

I'll be careful with the new one. I assembled the new one tonight and did a test spray. No surging or anything...perfect. I don't know if I'll put to much effort into figuring out what was wrong with the old one, I'm going to go with his guess that it probably had an issue from the factory. I like the warranty, that's for sure.

Thanks again Chris.

Josh
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies