Gun spraying intermittently

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 pm
Total newb at this and at a total loss. Gun spraying intermittently. Cleaned 3 times and torqued everything. Kept spraying intermittently. Air flows fine, but as soon as the cup with paint is added...on, off, on, off...
Ran out of my pint of paint(bumper cover) trying to correct the issue. Paint came out great when it actually sprayed paint...nice stripes with this metallic. Luckily the guy didn't care and just told me to clear it as it was going on a well used 2001 Maxima. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.
Eastwood Concours 1.4
3M PPS
60 gallon 12.9 @40psi

3rd coat of paint
3 coats of clear...this Tamco 2100 is awesome even with the gun acting up.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:03 am
Seriously, I don't get it. If you know you have a problem, why continue with a job that you know is going to be sub-standard? Worse, not even your own car. Who's paying for the paint you wasted?

The answer to this problem should have been found in a few minutes with a quick Google search at the time if you didn't know, yourself. No doubt it's been covered many times on this site, as well.

Spluttering is usually caused by a loose, unlubricated or failing gland packing on the fluid needle. It can also be caused by a fluid cap that is damaged or not seating properly. There are other causes too - pot to gun joint not sealed, air vent not clear - which can contribute to the problem.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 am
it is a lose fluid nozzle.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 am
PainterDave wrote:it is a lose fluid nozzle.

I checked and rechecked that and really torqued it down. These guns have a plastic air manifold, and I pulled that, reseated it and put the nozzle back on and retorqued. Needle, nozzle, and cap are all new. Thanks, Dave.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am
NFT5 wrote:Seriously, I don't get it. If you know you have a problem, why continue with a job that you know is going to be sub-standard? Worse, not even your own car. Who's paying for the paint you wasted?

The answer to this problem should have been found in a few minutes with a quick Google search at the time if you didn't know, yourself. No doubt it's been covered many times on this site, as well.

Spluttering is usually caused by a loose, unlubricated or failing gland packing on the fluid needle. It can also be caused by a fluid cap that is damaged or not seating properly. There are other causes too - pot to gun joint not sealed, air vent not clear - which can contribute to the problem.

NFT5, I actually planned to buy more paint myself. I'm just doing this for a buddy free of charge just to practice. He did pay the initial $41 dollars for the pint, but I paid for everything else. Anyway, he thought it good enough, and didn't want me to buy any more paint and said clear it. I did do google searches and could not find the problem.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:11 am
new or not there is 2 things that make a gun sputter.

lose or bad seal on a fluid nozzle

or the the cup is getting no air because you have the vent hole closed,
buy you stated PPS cups so no vent hole.

so it is number 1 bad seal or lose fluid nozzle.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:40 am
PainterDave wrote:new or not there is 2 things that make a gun sputter.

lose or bad seal on a fluid nozzle

or the the cup is getting no air because you have the vent hole closed,
buy you stated PPS cups so no vent hole.

so it is number 1 bad seal or lose fluid nozzle.

Thanks Dave. I'll look it over very carefully. Appreciate your time.

Josh

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 am
NFT5 wrote:Seriously, I don't get it. If you know you have a problem, why continue with a job that you know is going to be sub-standard? Worse, not even your own car. Who's paying for the paint you wasted?

:goodpost: fluid needle packing or fluid tip basically its suck air in somewhere its not suppose to.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am
badsix wrote:

:goodpost: fluid needle packing or fluid tip basically its suck air in somewhere its not suppose to.
Jay D.

I don't believe I've actually pulled that out...had to google what the hell it was. I'll put that on my list. Thank you. Josh

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:22 pm
fluid needle packing will let the gun leak but it will not cause sputtering.

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies