Beware of long hose and pressure / flow loss to the gun!

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:20 pm
I am novice to say the least. I had major issues with orange peel from two separate guns. I was getting little atomization. Well important finding after installing a regulator at the gun with gauge. With the reg wide open and setting the compressor regulator to 30 psi I had nearly zero indicated pressure at the gun but still spraying! I do know the regulator adds some more drag to the system but I had to crank the compressor up to 80 psi output at the compressor to get 30 psi at the gun.
This is thru 50' of hose and several quick connects. That would explain a lot about lack of atomization!
This is important and think others need to know. Beware and use a gauge at the gun!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 am
High flow fittings and larger diameter hose will help with the pressure drop.

Something else I have learned using my less than pro setup... Turn the regulator at the gun wide open, pull and hold the trigger, and then set the regulator at the compressor so that the gauge at the gun reads maybe 3-5lbs more than the max you expect to spray with. Then make final adjustments with the regulator at the gun.

If you use the regulator at the gun to reduce the pressure too much you will get a burst of the higher pressure when you first pull the trigger. You can feel this as a kick when you first pull the trigger on the gun. Having this problem will make it tough to get the gun dialed in and can cause mistakes when painting.

Return to Tools and Supplies