Air compressor build help

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 pm
:bighug: I have an old 60 gallon tank and a baldor 2hp motor and plan on getting a harbor freight pump will this work with painting a full car or should I go for a bigger motor and pump
Budget build

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:22 pm
Yes, much bigger on the motor....true 5 h.p. with a mag starter would be nice. Baldor is a great motor brand (especially the older ones in my opinion) but 2 hp is nothing in a compressor and Harbor Freight pumps...... I think all of those raw compressors are only single stage twins. I'd opt for something like this.... https://www.eatoncompressor.com/bare-pu ... essor-pump A pump like that is going to produce a lot less heat and it's cfm rating at 5 h.p. will give you continuous air for even the worst of the gun or sander hogs.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm
Yes it's an older baldor 2 hp motor

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:16 pm
What about gas powered motor setup

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:55 pm
Not really convenient and definitely more expensive to operate.
You would have to keep it outside due to the exhaust gases not only killing you but also possibly contaminating the surfaces you are painting.

The air compressor is the heart of your shop and the analogy to the human heart fits well seeing that if the compressor isn't up to the job, is weak or inefficient, everything becomes much more difficult to accomplish and can come to a sudden and complete stop.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 pm
I couldn't even imagine using a gas powered compressor. You'd be filling the thing up all the time. They can't even come close to the longevity of an electric motor as far as service. And there are those deadly fumes you'd have to deal with..... Wouldn't think the neighbors would tolerate that or the noise....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 pm
Thanks for the help so electric motor it will be

Return to Tools and Supplies