Couple questions on picking up new gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 pm
Hi all,

I've been a car nut my entire life, love working on them, but the one thing I've not ever tried to learn was paint. Last year I picked up an Eastwood Concours gun with 1.8/1.2/1.4 tip(s) and decided to finally try to learn. The reason for this mainly was that I had a camaro apart and wanted to paint the engine bay. It also needs front and rear bumper covers painted as well as RR quarter. I've also got another car that I was wanting to paint at some point, so definitely have several things lined up.

I keep reading a lot about when you are starting out, buy the best gun you can afford, don't cheap out on the gun, etc... I've also read not so many great things about the gun that I currently have (Concours) and it sounds like stepping up to something like an Iwata LPH400 or Devilbiss Tekna Prolite would be well worth the investment.

Would I really notice that much over the Eastwood gun that I currently have?

What are you guys' recommendations? If the difference will be worth it long term, then I'm okay with spending the money on the nicer equipment.

One thing I did notice with my Concours gun, was that when spraying it seems like after just a few minutes, the fog rolling out of the garage is pretty intense. Gun is set up to mfg specs. I've read that the Iwata in particular is very good about limiting this type of thing?

Thanks all for your suggestions!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 am
SATA is a better choice.

IWATA higher maintenance and fragile fluid nozzle IMO.

no it will not keep the fog rolling out of your garage.

and yes sir you are correct that if plan doing this awhile invest in a nicer gun.

you would probably be just as happy with a pro light
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Tools and Supplies