Fuji Mini Mite 4 first time

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:39 am
I have the Fuji Platinum Q5...

So far its been the best investment I ever made. I noticed when shooting metallic basecoats to get the perfect "metallic" match you gotta spray at max PSI. So what I do is spray few coverage coats at 4PSI-5PSI with a .8mm tip. Then a final "dust coat" or "beauty coat" at 9.5 PSI.

Clearcoat I use the ********** Production Clear with slow activator. Shooting at 5.5-6PSI matches factory orange peel. 7.5PSI - 9 PSI gives you a show quality finish with no peel.

Also using a .8mm tip. I just ordered a new .5mm tip with High Solids air cap. Excited to try that out. From my understanding i'll be able to shoot the clear even lower PSI.

Attached below is picture of Factory Peel vs No Peel. 6PSI vs 9.5PSI.

I literally have almost no overspray. Also with the Q5 adjustable dial, the sound you can barely even hear it. At 1/2 speed which is 5PSI I bet you its about 45 to 50 decibals? At full max PSI, its only 60 decibals!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:28 am
Very nice.... it's great to see guys working out coatings with their systems. I was at a manufacturing meeting with turbine system builders 25 years ago and brought up the fact that we needed more pressure/cfm than we were using at the time. I was ridiculed back then but I'm seeing everything that I thought we needed is coming to pass.....I think there are even more refinements to be had in the turbine gun design as well...... I'm looking at doing a custom turbine build for myself with plastic blades and 6 stages....looking to keep that 10 psi cap pressure but increasing CFM with little heat generated.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 pm
Shot color and clear on my dad 1964 Fairlane fenders, trunk, and hood today. Still working out the finer adjustments on my gun for BC/CC. 1.5 turns out on fluid knob with air valve open approx 25% seems to work great for basecoat. Full coverage in 2-3 coats with 50% overlap over white primer. Clear is a different story. Still havent gotten it down yet, either orange peel or runs. Im at 1.75 turns out on fluid nozzle and 40% open on air valve for clear. Gonna back it down tomorrow to see how the clear lays and see if I can flatten it out.

Forgot to add Im using a 1.0 tip.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 pm
Hey, TN....who's clear are you using....just curious?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 am
Distinctive Image DI-40 and slow activator. It's what my local shop sells so I figured I'd try it. I feel like PPG shoots better, but its been awhile since I shot it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am
Spec.s on it look pretty good....like you said, just need to fiddle with it to get that sweet spot for flow out......

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:58 am
Fenders from this weekend paint session. Color is Valspar Classic Red Metallic. Jobber that mixed it said its the first color he can remember that uses a full bottle of pearl to one gallon of paint.
Attachments
fenders.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:34 am
Lookin' good...... :goodjob:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:47 am
Its back together. Will be cutting and buffing later this week after Irma moves through TN. Had some runs, drips, and errors but its acceptable for a first time with a turbine and this car will be driven a lot and on the drag strip.
Attachments
Fairlane.jpg
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies