Misguided expectations or setting up the gun wrong?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:07 pm
Hello everyone,

I bought a less expensive LVLP Sprayit 33000 gun in an effort to spray some small parts here and there and not flood the neighborhood with the smell of paint.

This is the gun, http://www.californiaairtools.com/spray-guns/sp-33000/

All the videos I saw on this gun showed very little over spray and almost no cloud when spraying, I figured this gun would be perfect for transferring material and keeping the area cleaner.

I got the gun set it up as I would a HVLP about 30PSI at the regulator at the gun and 2.5 turns out on the fluid feed needle but when I tried spraying it felt like I was using a HVLP, my garage was a filled with a thick cloud of overspray and everything was coated in overspray quickly.

It also seems to eat through the material and cycles my 60 gallon air compressor pretty often.

I don't know if this guy was manufactured incorrectly being a cheaper Chinese gun and having little to no quality control or if I can using it incorrectly but I am really disappointed with its performance.

Here are some videos of the same gun that had me sold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyPEQmcn-tE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5feTuBRtZns&t=215s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrTauj9SZNE&t=296s

Did I have wrong expectations for this gun? Do LVLP guns typically produce a good amount of overspray and a large cloud like HVLP do?

Or did I possibly setup the gun wrong or receive a poorly made gun? The spray pattern and flow is fine but I don't feel LVLP is any better at reducing overspray than the HVLP I was using prior.

Thanks a bunch, I am not spraying cars or anything just small parts

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:19 pm
The chart on that page says the working pressure on that gun is 28-45 psi. That is not a LPLV (Low Pressure Low Volume) gun by any means.

LPLV guns are using around 16 psi working pressure and produce a soft spray for a higher transfer rate (less cloud).
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 pm
So essentially another Chinese product being falsely advertised.... :cry:

I was trying to avoid getting the Astro but it is on sale right now, it only comes with a 1.4mm tip and I would like to have a 1.3/1.5/1.7 combo for primer through clear.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:55 am
was they spraying in a garage in the video ? maybe they was in a booth that pulls out over spray and you are not ?

theres not a gun out there that wont leave a cloud if you do not having enough air moving it out may be your problem
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm
I can't tell from the videos, one guy sprayed outside but commented on the "no overspray" the other two looked to be inside but not a paint booth.

The Astro Evo shows a working psi of 25 with a cap psi of 10 so it is not off too much from this gun.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:30 pm
Hmmm, my EVO4018 says 16-18 psi right on the handle. Maybe they have changed things.

I suggest if you are serious about painting that you consider buying a used name brand gun off Craigslist or Ebay. SATA and IWATA guns tend to hold their value better so you could always resell it later and upgrade.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies