looking to build mobile paint booth

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 pm
Hello all I am new to the forum. I am looking to build a mobile paint booth. I repair wheels so I was trying to take an enclosed trailer and build a prep station and a paint area. Any suggestions on who I could talk to that can build such a thing? I know there are alot of wheel companies who have built their own. Unfortunately they only want me to buy theirs for way too much money.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 pm
welcome...

This is probably an obvious question but you did check your local laws to make sure a mobile paint booth is legal, right? It would be a shame to buy/build one then find out you can't use it.

Fully Engaged

Greece
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 am
You need a permit I guess for a booth like this.. You can use a scaffold and heat shrink nylon which you can disassemble and reassemble wherever you want with heat plates and fans but dust control is another story. My guess is that you need a metallic frame on wheels that's big enough to fit a car and lightweight enough for you to carry with your car, it's better if you talk to someone who is building paint booths since it's very hard to build one if you don't know what you are doing.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:13 pm
Thanks for the info. I haven't checked about permits but there are several guys out here who are using trailers to paint out of. I will check on the permits. I am looking for a small enclosed trailer to build something basic and just take the wheels off the car. Something like this http://www.cardinalsigns.net/portfolio- ... p-rims.jpg

Fully Engaged

Greece
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:49 pm
Even if you build the paint booth it will weight a lot ,what will you move it with? Do you specifically want to paint wheel rims, I don't think you need such a large space to paint wheel rims you could buy a small portable paint booth if you can handle the money.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:43 pm
I am just painting wheels. I am looking for a small enclosed trailer to tow behind my tacoma. I am looking to build a little prep area and a paint area. Something pretty simple. I just don't know anyone who can build such a thing

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm
I don't either but I would guess you'd start with a stock enclosed trailer and modify that.

http://www.haulmark.com/bumper-pull_cargo-trailer/

Again, not trying to deter you - but is there really that much demand for mobile rim refinishing? I'd think there would be a lot more money and less hassle with a mobile detailing business, just to throw another idea out there...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:33 pm
Thanks Chris. Those trailers are exactly what I am looking for. I have been repairing wheels for about 11 years now and I am doing alright. We just moved to a new area where the weather could create a little problem. So I am trying to build a trailer that will protect me from the rain and wind. I just haven't a clue who to talk too.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:39 pm
Awesome -- so look for a used enclosed trailer and you can fit it out exactly the way you want. With the number of landscaping guys who (unfortunately!) have had to exit or downsize their businesses, I bet there are a few of them on the used market.

Good luck with your business.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:20 pm
they have fully inflatable honest to goodness paint booths being made in europe and they can build on to specs for you. The real deal. Should fold up in your tacoma or inside a trailer. i found them doing a google search. Really cool stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU55Q3cIkSQ
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!
Next

Return to The Pro Shop!