I just bought a bodyshop!

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 am
Hi all, don't jump on me because I am not an expert in the bodyshop world (yet) but I have bought a bodyshop :)

The business is 10 years old and has 2 members of staff who currently do all the work and an owner who does all the front of house, client relations and business side of things (along with a bit of washing and de-nibbing and thats about it).
My background is sales and my aim is to market the company to bring in more business. It is already successful and could just be ran as it is, but I want to grow it. I do all my own mechanical work on my car (and friends) and have sprayed a couple of cars and a motorbike but plan to build on this. First way to expand the output would be for me to build on my shooting skills to a professional level which will increase the workforce from 2 to 3 :)

Obviously this is going to be tough for me but I know I can make it work, I wondered if anyone had any pointers for me or can highlight a few of the pitfalls people sometimes get into.

Until now the business has only had 1 ad in the telephone book and no other marketing to bring in business other than word of mouth so it shouldn't be difficult to build on this.

:)

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 am
Hey, good luck with the new business :-)

Pitfalls -- there are a ton of them but you know that. Finding quality/reliable/honest employees, dealing with insurance companies, dealing with customers who expect you to own a time machine to put their car through then come back and try to blame you for their brake pads squealing after you repainted a bumper, etc. etc.

I have known and talked to a lot of body shop owners over the years. They fall into roughly two categories. One who recognizes these barriers to entry/success and thrive on being the guy who gets up a hour earlier than the competition -- and the other who complains all day long about how life is not fair and the bodyshop business is in the toilet.

You just need to decide which one you want to be ;-)

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:19 pm
Hi iam brand new here ,but not new to the trade.
Get paid for everthing you do,all of those point ones add up
Parts management,have your techs mirror match everthing when it shows up,not after its painted and ready for delivery.
The best way to market your business is your quality of work,I remember myself getting all worked up about all of the other **** that comes with business,and I said just do good work and be honest and everything else will take care of itself,and it did.
Keep your shop clean ,if you dont need it huck it
Set weekly goals eg. hourly targets for the week,talk to your guys keep them happy ,happy people produce better work.
I gotta go paint now
good luck
B :goodjob:

Return to The Pro Shop!