car dealership ?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:15 pm
I am curious if a person can buy right from the manufacturer a car without having to go to a local dealership?
I.E order a car online and just have it shipped to them bypassing the middle man/sales persons. I would imagine it would be cheaper even if they won't ship to one person (but must be in bulk ) then I would still be interested in driving down to the manufacturer to pick it up. Since I would imagine the price on a car at that point would be the closest to raw material costs.
Correct me if I am wrong but normally going thru a dealership costs you extra then if one just could go to the manufacturer direct.
Curious if anybody bought directly from manufacturer and if so how much was the shipping to you.

Second question is
How does one go about setting up a car dealership ... is it just rent space, hire some salespeople , install some computer network/system to keep track of deals/customer information , maybe advertising person to decorate the interior /exterior of the space rented, and if one chooses have some space for car servicing/hiring auto mechanics and tools/parts.
I know I am over simplifying it but this would be essentially what it all would be. The differentiation factor of being a good or bad car dealership/service place would be based on the workers knowledge and experiences. ) I guess knowledge and experience would be a defining factor of a good worker but that goes out the window to the fact of there willing to do good work.

Anyway I am curious if anybody has any experience in setting up a car dealership business or car service business (like a autobody shop , or a general car fix shop).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm
You asked,,"I am curious if a person can buy right from the manufacturer".

Im 99% sure you cant.

Your other question was ,,"How does one go about setting up a car dealership ... is it just rent space, hire some salespeople , install some computer network/system to keep track of deals/customer information , maybe advertising person to decorate the interior /exterior of the space rented, and if one chooses have some space for car servicing/hiring auto mechanics and tools/parts."

Im also 99% sure you have to have a VERY BIG bank account just to get started,,the rest is even more money. If it was that easy they would be every where...............
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm
Well that doesn't make any senses you can't buy directly from the manufacturer a complete car. But you can buy specific parts you need to fix your car from the manufacturer when places like autozone, advanced auto ...etc don't carry them. (auto mechanics have to order engine and transmission parts right from the manufacturer all the time)

But then the dealerships can buy from the manufacturer the cars... why can't you just cut out the middle man.
Plus the cost of paying a few thousand dollors or more to the sales man when I could go directly to the manufacturer and skip the price jack would be great. Don't get me wrong a dealership is a good place to get information and test drive cars to see what you really want. Though the buying process I would probably just order directly from the manufacturer then call my insurance agent and the dmv to get them the info and I should be all set. This holds provided we are talking about new cars ... used cars is a different store and that would be the main reason for have a car dealership to get cheaper used cars ... unless of course the manufacture has a place that they store used cars for sale.

Claude E. Shannon the future is who possess the most knowledge/information

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 pm
It actually makes perfect sense in the business world. I'm a sales rep for a big power tool company and we can't sell tools directly. If we did that none of the retailers would want to sell our products because they wouldn't be competitive. If Ford sold direct to the consumer...there would be no need for a dealership anywhere...which would mean that you would have to order the car over the phone or online to get it. Say you wanted a new Mustang, where would you see one or test drive one if there was no dealerships because they sold direct? Now if you wanted a Camaro and they sold through dealerships where you could go and test drive them I bet I know which one you would end up buying.

Its how a company becomes successful by having a mass distribution network to peddle their goods. In return we can't compete with the companies selling our products.
69 Mustang 302 Coupe
Currently in "Rust Removal" stage
www.jobslick.com or http://www.facebook.com/JobSlick

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:32 pm
which would mean that you would have to order the car over the phone or online to get it. Say you wanted a new Mustang, where would you see one or test drive one if there was no dealerships because they sold direct? Now if you wanted a Camaro and they sold through dealerships where you could go and test drive them I bet I know which one you would end up buying.

Well, I was thinking more that the dealer ships would have a few cars of each make / model to test drive.
Then once the person made his decision he called the dealership up and the dealership was just like a truck/transportation services that would take your information / insurance/DMV stuff ...etc , get the car from the dealership, then drop the car off to you.

But then of course it is probably better the way it is since it would take a lot of space/transportation cost to house all the cars at the manufacture locations only.

So for get this

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:33 am
the best answers to your questions could be answered by calling the manufacturers. im sure they could use a good laugh.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:53 am
There are countless flaws in your logic. WAAAAYY too many to even start listing them.

Return to The Pro Shop!