small engine ?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:03 am
Hanyes manuals make 2 books on small engines one for 0 to 5 hp and the other from 5hp to 20hp

What constitutes it from being small as opposed to being large or medium?
Is it the engines power in which case if 0 to 20 hp is small engine the what is the classifications for medium and large.
example would it be small 0 to 20 hp , medium 20 to 200hp and large 200hp onward

Also curious what is the greatest engine horse power currently we can produces from an engine. (restricted to internal combustible engines obviously the external ones I.e the rockets are another story)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:40 am
Another odd question I had is can 2 cycle engines be made to have the same horsepower as 4cycle engines. Or is there some limitations one one over the other (else why uses 4 cycle over 2 cycles when you wouldn't need to split the oil and fuel :) )

Also is there any other type of engines other the 2 and 4 cycle and if so what is the benefit of have more cycles I would imagine less cycles is normally better but I could be getting that confused with the work done per cycle and the frequency of a cycle.

It stands to reason in theory the cycles won't restrict the horsepower but maybe the way heat/friction is handle would since the gas is mix with the oil but don't know

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:39 am
biengs how this is an autobody forum, you would prolly be beter of goin to a small engine forum for your questions

Return to The Pro Shop!