engine detailing/under the hood detailing ?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:52 am
I am wondering what products for engine/under the hood detailing. I am doing car detailing and currently the exterior and interior of the car came out amazing. Now I wanted to get to that 100% show car / hot rod quality for the engine / under the hood components. I am wondering how / what the professionals uses for this. Currently I was thinking just soapy water on a damp clothe and being careful of the electrical components / tubes...etc

But I have seen engine digressers like engine brite and other products so it is making me wonder if there is more to it then just soapy water a hose and a good drying. Obviously with water/soap I am a little worried about corrosion over time so may be somebody on this forum could help me thru this issue.

Thanks for any advice in how to do this like a professional and have it not degrade the engine over time.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:48 am
I bag the main fuse block area so moisture wont get into the fuses and I also bag the alternator for the same reason. Good roll of tape and plastic grocery bags work great.

Spray bottle with 50/50 car soap and water
Alcohol based window cleaner 50/50 with water
Wax/grease remover. Something quick evaporating.

I lightly spray the engine bay with water then soak the greasy areas with water/soap mix. (Even dawn dish soap works well)
Then I use a horse hair brush to get into areas for a good scrub. Different lengths, widths and firmness brushes. I scrub EVERYTHING. Strut towers, firewall, brake master, everything.

I spray the hood with wax/grease remover then get the hose out. Spray away streaks and chemicals. Then I use supplied air from a compressor and blow dry everything really well. I use the 50/50 alcohol when blow drying because it dries quickly. And its streak free. Then I use a rag to scrub hoses, intake, anything that I didnt use the brushes on. Then its mostly wipe and clean.

Any product you use to shine surfaces will be your preference.

Biggest tip is supplied air. Then you can dry everything important real quickly.
Travis
I-CAR certified
Lynch Body Shop and LDV

Return to The Pro Shop!