How to start a mobile paint business?????

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am
Hi everyone I have been working in the auto body field for almost 10 years and finally want to start my own mobile paint business.
I currently do mobile but I want to go legit with a LLC.
My questions are does anyone in the forum work mobile for themselves ???
Cup size can't be bigger then 3 oz????
What types of permits do I need??
Do I have to register with someone or somthing with this type of business?
Now I know In a regular shop paint has to be in explosive proof cabinets but what if you carry paint toners in your vehicle???
Can you even store paint toners legally in your work vehicle??
I have heard that exceptions can be made for 5 ounce cups is that true??
How do you deal with paint waste when you are mobile???
I have many more questions but this should be enough to get the wheels turning towards my goal of becoming a legit business owner. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.
Are you waiting for paint to dry???Welcome to the story of my life!!! Lol!!!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 am
You are going to have to understand two levels of compliance. First is the US government (EPA) 6H guidelines. The part that focuses on automotive work is laid out here. Check out the PDF files on the right side of this page:

http://www.epa.gov/collisionrepair/

The overall 6H information can be found here: http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/6h/6hpg.html

The second level of compliance is the locality in which you will be working. This is where things can get dicey. You need to contact the town offices (zoning, or business permits would be a good place to start) and find out what they allow and don't allow. They might not want you doing this in residential driveways for example. I'd probably start on this piece before I worry about the EPA.

One guy in my town who does this has built himself a nice network of business with the local car dealers.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 pm
Hey Chris thanks for the reply!!
Now I took a EPA class a few years ago for a Toyota body shop I used to work at.
Is that kept on record??
Does it need to be renewed?
I understand the 6h but just curious if I need to take another class??
I called zoning in the area and basically told me I have to apply for the business license first.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 pm
You're welcome. I really don't know about those EPA classes or if they have anything to do with whether or not your business will be recognized as in compliance. The folks at the EPA are pretty responsive; email them and they should be able to answer your questions...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm
It may also be helpful to find a paint jobber/supplier in your area that will sell you toner by the ounce. You're looking at a very large investment if you have to buy all your toners in quarts.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:19 pm
Yeah I have someone that will sell per ounce.
Right now I have 8 ounce bottles with DuPont chromabase and 2 1 quart bottles for 150 and 175 binder and balancer and pearls are in 8 ounce bottles. And can put it in the bed of a small truck no prob.

Return to The Pro Shop!