Calling all writers!

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 pm
I am a production manager and handle all supplements at my collision shop. I am looking to see what all you other writers out there are having luck charging insurance companies with. I'm not looking to scam anyone but am just trying to get my flat rate guys paid for services they are actually doing. I am fed up with insurance companies telling me that "pre washing and post repair washing is an industry standard therefore we don't pay for that" or "paint jobs should be clean so therefore we don't pay for denib and polish"

Anyway I'm just looking for some helpful tips, maybe if we all share what we can get paid on it will be easier on all of us!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:29 pm
What operations are you trying to get paid for? Give me some examples.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 am
I have never asked to pay for washing the car, but "denib" is in the P pages in Mitchell so they WILL pay for it. This is one of the tricks, you study your estimating system, you study the manufacturers guidelines which are all available for you on line (we use "Alldata" http://www.alldata.com/repair ) and you print out the page that says you need to do what you are asking for. When you hand them the est you hand them that as well. Or at the very least you have it there for when they say "no" to your line on the est.

We have started adding things that turn into many, many hours on our estimates. Things like when a rear body panel is replaced, paint time (typically 0.5) is added for every panel adjacent to that rear body panel, inside and out! This means, quarters, inside and out, (this may mean behind the bumper only) trunk floor top and bottom, trunk floor extensions inside and out, gutters top and bottom, tail lamp pocket, inside and out, frame rail. And every one of these lines an explanation line is added "at rear body panel welds".

We charge for everything, every single nut or bolt that is turned, every single clean and re-tape (for the tape and the time) and we are getting it.

We have had very few arguments over it because they are in the p pages or the manufacturers guidelines so there is nothing to talk about.

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Return to The Pro Shop!