getting a job at a local bodyshop

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:44 am
im a 17 year old kid who lives in the ventura/oxnard area of california and i want to work at an autobody shop doing what ever i can. allthough im young many people say im talented in autobody work, (sanding, priming, dent removal, starting to learn how to paint well, i have restored my 1972 buick skylark doing all the bodywork myself, dent removal, filler work, some welding priming blocksanding) and anyways i was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice how to approach a body shop for a job, it seems kinda tough for a owner to hire a kid thats still in high school

ANY IDEA'S??
-Alex Prins-

1972 Skylark 350 seamist green, currently under restoration
http://my72skylark.bravehost.com/
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=71874

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 pm
Just bring your resume...and willingness to learn...
knock on all the bodyshops around your area (or area where you want to work)....and just start off sweeping the floor.....soon.....you'll go into detailing, then prepping, and then body work...etc..

that's how I did it ...and I'm only a couple years older than you :P
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:34 pm
Ha-Ha-Ha,,,Its funny you say that Crisqo. Thats how I got my start, sweeping the floors. Twenty years I was one of the best painters in the area.....

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:40 pm
I thought it was cool to work in an AutoBody shop 22 yrs ago, the only problem is the people that you have to work with. I will tell you that I have had some good people that I have worked with but most were the biggest jerks that I have ever been in contact with.

That goes for owners and fellow workers/formans you name it...not the best enviroment to be in. I'm sorry if I sound a little negative but that has been my experience. Oh and as far as money...you better be real good and always looking over your shoulder because there is someone talking about you so that they look better. If your real good then you will want to work flat rate but watch your hours and repair time because the shop foreman or the manager/owner will try and cut hours off your time.

I can go on & on...it's a real tough business.
GOOD LUCK!!!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:25 pm
PPG MAN wrote:I thought it was cool to work in an AutoBody shop 22 yrs ago, the only problem is the people that you have to work with. I will tell you that I have had some good people that I have worked with but most were the biggest jerks that I have ever been in contact with.

That goes for owners and fellow workers/formans you name it...not the best enviroment to be in. I'm sorry if I sound a little negative but that has been my experience. Oh and as far as money...you better be real good and always looking over your shoulder because there is someone talking about you so that they look better. If your real good then you will want to work flat rate but watch your hours and repair time because the shop foreman or the manager/owner will try and cut hours off your time.

I can go on & on...it's a real tough business.
GOOD LUCK!!!

I have never heard it put so much better in my life you hit every aspect of it. And if you do Flat rate make sure you know the difference between actual body time and refinish time or else there get ya there too. Also if your new to a shop i would suggest to be able to take alot of critisizm i am not saying all shops are that way but alot are, people are not shy to tell you when stuff looks horrible or tell you "Maybe you should think something else other than being a body man" ect ect...... I have always just tried to ignore the comments just for the fact of there is NOONE that started out doing pro work nor did they learn it in a couple months. I see it as a trial and error only kinda situation. I would say it will take years to be technically great at it and as far a perfect at it i am not sure if there is such a thing.

Even people that has been doing it for years and years will tell you how they make mistakes and not everytime will things work the way you want it to. Thats just my .02$
Matt

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:54 pm
staircasesurfer wrote:im a 17 year old kid who lives in the ventura/oxnard area of california and i want to work at an autobody shop doing what ever i can. allthough im young many people say im talented in autobody work, (sanding, priming, dent removal, starting to learn how to paint well, i have restored my 1972 buick skylark doing all the bodywork myself, dent removal, filler work, some welding priming blocksanding) and anyways i was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice how to approach a body shop for a job, it seems kinda tough for a owner to hire a kid thats still in high school

ANY IDEA'S??

WOW :shock: . We're in the exact same position except im from Michigan and restored a 94 murcery cougar.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:12 pm
I love it,,,This place is telling it like it is. OK all you young bucks,,,Here is your chance to haul ****. (Just kidding)

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! Sounds like me and PPG Man worked in the same shop............

Where are you from PPG Man

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:23 am
:lol: I think it's the same all over. It's just the nature of the beast.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:27 am
Old Dupont Guy wrote:I love it,,,This place is telling it like it is. OK all you young bucks,,,Here is your chance to haul ****. (Just kidding)

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! Sounds like me and PPG Man worked in the same shop............

Where are you from PPG Man

New England and I think I'm gonna get me a real job too like you.

I don't know what you catch down there in SC but up here we are the Striper Capital or at least we used to be. :lol:

I love to fish for Stripped Bass, Blue Fish, Banita...and when the gulf stream comes close enough then Marlin is also fun. :lol:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:07 pm
Most of the time my clients want to fish for the Red Drum. Check out my website when you get a chance. There are quite a few pic's on there.

I know about the Striper's you have up there. Sounds like a good fishery!
Next

Return to The Pro Shop!