getting a job at a local bodyshop

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:39 pm
Is it really that bad working at a body shop? I have been looking for bodyshops in my area to work at too. (I'm 21 and graduating in May with my bachelor's of fine arts) I've always wanted to combine my love of painting with auto mechanics. I already know how to paint realistically and graphically, I just haven't learned how to spray it on a car yet.

Would it really be a waste of time and energy for me to pursue auto painting?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:36 pm
It depends on the shop and the body shop Mgr.

Out of all the shops I have worked in the largest was Rick Hendrick Chevrolet and it was the most money hungry shop that I have ever seen.
All they looked at was the numbers.

It would be good to get in a small shop and be there only painter.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:32 pm
Old Dupont Guy wrote:
It would be good to get in a small shop and be there only painter.

so you can be the most important? In detroit thats what most shops see is the numbers because it's no time to enjoy the art of painting and that feeling of bondo hardening on your pinky.And cars come and go like todays fads.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:49 pm
What are you talking about Bishop,,""so you can be the most important""

Tell us about your shop experience Bishop. Have you ever worked in a high volume shop?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 pm
staircasesurfer wrote:im a 17 year old kid who lives in the ventura/oxnard area of california
ANY IDEA'S??

Learn Spanish. (seriously)
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
'70 Ranchero 429GT
'70 Ranchero 351GT
'69 Cougar XR-7
'86 F350-460CobraJet
'03 Chevy ZR5 S10
'06 Miller 210
'06 Miller 375 Spectrum
'07 Miller SyncroWave 200

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:02 pm
Wow I never answerd ODG's question.

What I meant by The most Important is that when in a small shop each person is not a number(number meaning$$$). Theres Bob not theres the guy who brung in $1,200 this week.

Now I work all day in a shop and when I was new It's not what I expected. I thought It was "HI" to the customer "hey" to the new kid.
Instead it was "Motherfu**" this car and "Im busy kid" to the new guy.
I was wet sanding a car by myself and it only took mr an hour(I work fast and accurate). I told the manager I was done and he asked did I think I was done, I said yeah and he said "Do that sh** again til I think your done"

Now Every one likes me because I don't go to lunch I stay and sand other people's bondo for fun,they like doing less work. One more year of this and Im off to college

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:57 am
I'm 19 and I'm in the same situation, except I'm one step up. While I was at school we had to do work experience. I decided to do it at a local crash repair shop. I did that for a week and I didn't want to go. Then in the next semester we had to do more work experience, so I went back to the same place. From that I got a job sweeping floors and cleaning up once a week (I did it this morning). In return I get to use the workshop when ever I like to do watever I like. I asked my boss for a 'promotion' and asked if he could put me on as casual and I get payed, but he said at the moment there isn't enuf work, but when a position becomes available, I'd be the first to know as I've been helping him out heaps with the workshop.

But yeah...overall I bloody love doing bodywork, the only thing I dislike is being on my feet for long periods of time. I know that must make me look lazy, but if you realised how overweight I am then u would prolly wonder how the hell I could do wat I do haha.

I'm not sure about other countries, but in Australia we have a shortage of panel beaters and spray painters.

If u wanna do it then I'd suggest u to go for it! If u find a job then u decided it's not the thing for u, then just quit. It's better doing it now that ur young. Definetely don't keep doing it if u dislike it.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:55 pm
Every job you work on will be different. They will all make you feel good when it is done and gone. You will make alot of money doing body work, and enjoy it so much that you want to do it at night. Body shops are a fun place to work, where everyone are good friends.

Keep telling yourself that over and over. Maybe you can believe it after a month. LOL

Actually, every shop will be different. You have to decide what kind of BS you want to put up with. Some of the shops will expect bodymen to do half of the painter's work. That's OK though, because there are shops that say that the painter is responsible for the finished product. That means if the bodywork isn't right, they need to fix it before it's painted. You will be expected to make cars perfect, specially the really crappy ones. You will hear managers tell techs that they can be replaced in a second. That same manager, in his next breath, will tell a customer that he can't get a car out any quicker because he has problems finding qualified techs.

It is a great way to make a living. LOL

Aaron

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 pm
MO-Cummins wrote:
PPG MAN wrote:I thought it was cool to work in an AutoBody shop 22 yrs ago, the only problem is the people that you have to work with. I will tell you that I have had some good people that I have worked with but most were the biggest jerks that I have ever been in contact with.

That goes for owners and fellow workers/formans you name it...not the best enviroment to be in. I'm sorry if I sound a little negative but that has been my experience. Oh and as far as money...you better be real good and always looking over your shoulder because there is someone talking about you so that they look better. If your real good then you will want to work flat rate but watch your hours and repair time because the shop foreman or the manager/owner will try and cut hours off your time.

I can go on & on...it's a real tough business.
GOOD LUCK!!!

I have never heard it put so much better in my life you hit every aspect of it. And if you do Flat rate make sure you know the difference between actual body time and refinish time or else there get ya there too. Also if your new to a shop i would suggest to be able to take alot of critisizm i am not saying all shops are that way but alot are, people are not shy to tell you when stuff looks horrible or tell you "Maybe you should think something else other than being a body man" ect ect...... I have always just tried to ignore the comments just for the fact of there is NOONE that started out doing pro work nor did they learn it in a couple months. I see it as a trial and error only kinda situation. I would say it will take years to be technically great at it and as far a perfect at it i am not sure if there is such a thing.

Even people that has been doing it for years and years will tell you how they make mistakes and not everytime will things work the way you want it to. Thats just my .02$
Matt
you are so right on this bud! i been painting for 25 years and its always different .

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:21 pm
I was in the same situation a couple years back.i started doing bodywork when i was still in highschool at 15 joined here when i was 16 then at 17 when i finished highschool went to learn the trade in school cause every shop in the area said they wouldnt hire me without it! got my 1 st year apprentice card then started in the trade did 1 fix auto a terrible shop then a lexus/toyota dealer and still work there i was lucky enough to work with a great bunch of guys and one in particular teaching me everything he knows getting me ready to go flat rate cant get better than that in my opinion man i was lucky.

for all those starting off all you can do is be patient and persistent and the good things will come.
R&R front bumper cover- 1.5
R&R lwr grille- incl
R&R fog lamps- incl
R&R upper grille- incl
replace retainer- incl
WTF!!!!!!! everything is INCLUDED!!!!!!!!!!!
PreviousNext

Return to The Pro Shop!