Hollywood walk of fame star clear coat issue.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm
Ok so here it goes. A customer of mine came to me with a duplicate of one of the stars that is on the walk of fame in Hollywood. When someone gets a star there are two made the recipient gets one and one is on the walk. They are granite. This one is a singer named Evelyn Knight. This stone was procured at an auction and the guy plans on putting it outside. We where asked to put a clear coat on it. I used my best stuff but it reacted after about a week. I am assuming it is the porosity of the granite. My solution was to use bar epoxy however I was told that it yellows quickly outdoors. I was able to get a granite sealer and re clear the stone. My issue now is it is pitted badly. I need some type of very durable high build clear that will withstand the elements. The clears I have used don't have enough build to do the job without reacting. I have had to strip it several times. Re polishing isn't an option because of the gold inlay of the name. Does anyone know of a clear coating capable of this type of application it looks fine in the picture but because you cannot see the pitting.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 pm
Almost any coating you put on this type of surface is going to be somewhat "sacrificial" in performance. You are correct about epoxies and the sun problem, add to that clear polyesters as well. My first thought would be a ceramic clear like one of the nano clears. Ceramic clear coats would be nice and hard and very UV resistant. Haven't really searched around to see what is out there. The last one I used was Motostorm's Nano clear. I think their web site is still up but don't know if they are actively selling....
www.motostorm.com
Another company to check with would be Kwickkleen. Here's their web site.... www.kwickkleen.com They have done more extensive testing on outdoor clears than just about anybody.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 am
Why don't you have clear powder coated? Just a thought. Good luck

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 am
Thanks for the quick responses. I never thought about powder coating it. Powder coating uses a +\- charge right? Can they charge a granite slab? It is definitely something to look into. I will also look into the above links.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:41 pm
I know in industrial wood finishing powder coating can be done at lower temp. ranges by using a liquid "flux" that allows the wood to temporarily hold a charge. Just not sure on granite, I don't think you've got enough "fine" poor structure.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint